SUU KYI'S PLEA TO NGOs

For immediate release on:
February 14, 1998

MEDIA RELEASE
SUU KYI?S PLEA TO NGOs

Bangkok, Saturday: - Burma?s democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has appealed
to NGOs and governments to prioritise assistance to refugees who have fled
Burma?s military atrocities.

Ms Suu Kyi?s appeal was made during an interview with Asean-based activists
in Rangoon shortly before Burma?s Union Day, which commemorates the
Panglong agreement between ethnic groups and Burmans to form the Union of
Burma.

Ms Suu Kyi said: "Union Day is the day when we should be giving special
consideration to our ethnic nationalities. I would like to appeal to NGOs
to do what they can to help our Karen and other ethnic refugees who have
had to leave their homes and try to scrape together a form of living in
foreign lands. I would also like to make an appeal to all governments
concerned to do what they can to alleviate the sufferings of our refugees
abroad.

"We would like the Thai government to do what they can to alleviate the
sufferings of our refugees  We are very distressed by their plight."

Ms Suu Kyi, who is General Secretary of the National League for Democracy
(NLD) was not optimistic about the role of NGOs working inside the country
to promote civil society.

emphasised: "Civil society under a military regime is almost a contradiction.

"NGOs find it difficult to operate here without being influenced by the
government because it?s an authoritarian regime. Under an authoritarian
regime NGOs can no more operate freely than say the NLD."  The NLD, which
won the 1990 elections by a landslide, continues to be suppressed and
harassed by Burma junta, now known as the State Peace and Development Council.

ENDS

For more information, please contact:
Bangkok tel. (66 2) 275 1811, tel/fax (66 2) 693 4515
or email <altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>

A L T S E A N - B U R M A
Alternative Asean Network on Burma
Tel/Fax: 66 2 693 4515 * <altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>