----------------
Extract from Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright's
Statement before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
Washington, DC, February 10, 1998
As released by the Office of the Spokesman
U.S. Department of State

Asia.

The United States is a Pacific nation, just as we are an Atlantic and a
Caribbean nation. We have allies and friends in every part of the
continent. We are major buyers and sellers in Asia-Pacific markets. We
are backers of Asian democracy which--as the recent election in the
Republic of Korea indicates--is alive and well. And we have a vital
stake in the security of Asia, where we have fought three wars during
the past six decades.

Since becoming Secretary of State, I have traveled to East Asia three
times and to the APEC Ministerial and Summit in Vancouver. This reflects
the priority we have placed on improving ties throughout the region.

Our overarching objective is to continue building a new and inclusive
Pacific community based on stability, shared interests and the rule of
law.

To this end, we have fortified our core alliances, crafted new defense
guidelines with Japan, maintained our forward deployment of troops,
embarked on Four Party talks to create a basis for lasting peace on the
Korean Peninsula, and continued to implement, with our partners, the
Agreed Framework which is dismantling North Korea's dangerous nuclear
program.

In addition, we are working with ASEAN and other regional leaders to
encourage a return to representative government in Cambodia, and a
meaningful dialogue in Burma between the authorities there and the
democratic opposition, led by Aung San Suu Kyi.