BKK POST: February 2, 1998: YADANA

BKK POST: February 2, 1998:  YADANA GAS PIPE PROJECT

              Academics urge
              public hearing

              Vasana Chinvarakorn Atiya Achakulwisut

              Prominent academics are urging Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai
              to take a leadership role and set up a public hearing forum on the
              controversial Yadana gas pipeline project.

              Meanwhile, protesters have turned down a proposal from the
              Kanchanaburi governor to attend a public debate at the town
              hall, scheduled for Tuesday.

              Yesterday, a group of lecturers from leading universities led by
              Prof Nithi Eawsiwong visited the site where pipeline protesters
              have staged a sit-in since late December.

              They called for an immediate intervention by the prime minister
              to avoid unnecessary violence similar to the recent crackdown
              on protesting workers at the Thai Summit Auto Assembly plant.

              "The circumstance is potentially dangerous. Left unattended, it
              may lead to violence. The best way out is to establish
              mechanisms for a free and fair public hearing. The only person
              who is capable of implementing the task is Mr Chuan himself,"
              they said.

              The group faxed a draft proposal outlining a framework for the
              hearing to the Prime Minister's Office on Saturday.

              According to the proposal, a committee consisting of
              representatives nominated by both sides, will be set up to review
              the pros and cons of the project.

              The hearing is expected to last 15 days.

              The most important aspect of the proposal is that the PTT stop
              all the work during the hearing procedure.

              "The proposed committee is not authorised to arbitrate. In other
              words, the government is not obliged to follow the hearing result.
              However, I must stress that under the new constitution, which
              endorses public participation, the government must provide clear
              and adequate reasons for its post-hearing action," a lecturer said.

              Dr Kasian Techapira, a political scientist from Thammasat
              University, who also joined the trip, said he is worried about a
              reported plan by the provincial governor to force
              conservationists to end their protest.

              "By allowing such a plan to exist, is Mr Chuan giving a tacit
              support to the use of force to solve the conflict? But what will
              happen to the country if violence is allowed to erupt and
              broadcast worldwide? Our credit rating will suffer even further."

              The provincial governor had proposed a meeting between
              pipeline supporters and opponents early this week.

              But according to Phinan Chotiroseranee, a leading pipeline
              opponent, the conservationists will not participate in the public
              debate.

              "The issue is now a national one. The governor's suggestion is
              but a ploy to pit two local groups against each other. It is just a
              waste of time," she said.

              "I agree with the idea to have a public hearing. And I will comply
              with whatever decision the majority of people deems fit. I have
              done my best to protect the forest," she said.

© The Post Publishing Public Co., Ltd. All rights reserved 1998
Contact the Bangkok Post
Web Comments: Webmaster

Last Modified: Mon, Feb 2, 1998