Suu Kyi sees nothing 'golden'

Anniversary passes quietly, even moodily
Agence France-Presse

Bangkok Post, January 5, 98

The Bangkok-based government in exile yesterday of independence from
British colonial rule marked the "golden jubilee of civil war".

The National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB) said in a
statement that yesterday's anniversary was time to reflect on the "heroes"
who sacrificed their lives for genuine democracy over the past 50 years.

"What is regrettable is that as the civil war started 83 days after
independence, it would not be wrong to name this year as the golden jubilee
of the civil war as well as that of independence," the statement said.

"We the people of all the ethnic minorities have to endure all the evil
legacies and afflictions of the civil war up to this day."

About 800 people gathered peacefully outside the Rangoon home of leading
opposition figure Aung San Suu Kyi yesterday to hear speeches form National
League for Democracy (NLD), Burma's main advocate for democratic reform.

Suu Kyi said there was nothing "golden" about Burma's golden jubilee as
political freedom and the respect of basic human rights were still only
dreams.

She called for political dialogue with the ruling military junta and urged
the Burmese people to continue to fight to fulfil their forefathers' dreams
of independence.

"If we cannot fulfil the expectations of our forefathers and if they
continue to remain just dreams, then we cannot claim to be their heirs,"
she said.

Echoing the NLD speakers, the NCGUB called for increased dialogue between
democracy advocates and the ruling military junta.

"Genuine dialogue must be undertaken," the NCGUB said.

It said the situation in Burma was "out of control" and "on the verge of
disintegration" because of the continued oppression by the military rulers.

Burma gained independence from Britain in 1948 after 124 years under
colonial rule, but its nascent democracy was quickly mired in civil unrest
and ethnic rebellions.

Military strongman Ne Win took absolute control of the government in 1962,
leading to unbroken period under military rule culminating in the current
State Peace and Development Council (SPDC).

The SPDC, formally known as State Law and Order Restoration Council, has
been criticised for regularly violating human rights, keeping political
prisoners and using forced labour.

Burma's official independence celebration were subdued in Rangoon
yesterday, with only one state dinner organised for politicians and diplomats.

The SPDC held a dawn flag-raising ceremony in Rangoon, but otherwise there
were no public independence celebrations and the streets of Rangoon were
quiet, witnesses said.