Archaeology in Burma (r)

What ever you use Burma or Myanmar. It has the same meaning. Because
in the Burma (or) Myanmar, you will only find Burmese (or) Burman
(or) Myanmese history, Culture and language. I advise you to find out
the true history first, which belongs to the other ethnic people.
Remember, ethnic people are not minority and each ethnic people own
their own history. I want to apologize to you because I can't tell
you about anything of ethnic history because I'm a karen, but I was
only taught from Burmese school and even my thinking language is
Burmese (or) Burman (or) Myanmese. So when you finished your project,
please find out the true name for country.

> Date:          28 Dec 1997 19:16:07
> From:          GeoB1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject:       Archaeology in Burma
> To:            Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Greetings to all,
>
> I'm very new to BurmaNet, so I apologize if the questions I ask have been
> answered before.
>
> First: Which name, Burma or Myanmar, is considered to be the more correct?
> Based on the name "BurmaNet" I'm assuming "Burma" is preferred, but news
> agencies seem to use both interchangeably.
>
> Second: Is there much legitimate archaeology taking place in Burma, and
> what is your position on Archaeological work by foreigners in Burma?  By
> "legitimate" I mean true research as opposed to black-market thievery.
>
> Only recently have I begun to learn about the incredible history, cultures,
> and architecture of Burma / Myanmar. I've worked on archaeological projects
> in
> Mexico (1992), Chile (1993 and 1995) and the United States (where I live).
> Most of these have been through the EarthWatch Organization.  These have
> been much more rewarding than the standard tourist experience.  I would
> like very much to do some volunteer archaeological work in Burma, but not
> if
> that is discouraged by groups like Free Burma.  Please give me your
> opinion(s)
> on this issue.  Also, if acceptable, please let me know if you are aware of
> any archaeology projects planned for 1998 that could use a hard working
> volunteer.
>
> Thank you in advance for any information or guidance that you can provide.
>
> George P. Baker
> GeoB1@xxxxxxx

Karen_Ranger
Against Genocide by SLORC
Democracy my be bought by the Blood of Patriots