No Subject Given

(Please circulate internationally)

OCCIDENTAL COLLEGE DEMONSTRATION AND HUNGER STRIKE
FOR THE LIBERATION OF BURMA
FRIDAY, NOV. 21, 1997
1:30 PM @ SYCAMORE GLENN (Occidental College)

WE, the student led Free Burma Coalition of Occidental College, in an effort
to increase pressure on our President, Dr. John Brooks Slaughter -- member
of the Board of Directors for <n>ARCO Corp., and to challenge any possible
college investment within <n>ARCO, will hold a demonstration / hunger strike
in the name of the Burmese people.

WE, the students, faculty, and staff of Occidental College do not wish for
our college to be associated with the murdering, enslavement, and oppression
of a people who are struggling for the establishment of a Democratic state.
WE have always understood Occidental College as being a resource for the
molding of individuals who will contribute toward the betterment of our
pluralistic society.  Knowing that Occidental College plays a significant
role in the oppression of the Burmese people is a hypocritical irony, and as
students, faculty, and staff, we denounce our involvement and the tainting
of our college's honor.

WE demand the following from our college:

1) That our President, Dr. John Brooks Slaughter, use his position within
the ARCO Board of Directors, to pressure ARCO into pulling from Burma.

2) That our college break any investment relationship, if such exists, with
ARCO until it pulls out of Burma (several of our trustees are involved with
ARCO).

The demonstration in the name of the Burmese people will begin at Sycamore
Glenn (Occidental College) at 1:30 PM, this Friday Nov. 21.  We will march
all through the campus, and stop in front of the President's Office, where
Pres. Slaughter will HAVE TO ADDRESS US.  A meeting has been scheduled with
him, but he's expecting three students.  Little does he know that they'll be
accompanied by a couple of hundred students, and TV cameras.

The hunger strike will begin after the meeting with Slaughter, and will
continue till Mon. Nov. 24, when ARCO will hold it's national Board of
Director's meeting.  Those that will participate in the hunger strike will
be Sara Hunt, from Students React, and Ismael Chavez, from the Four Winds
Student Movement.  WE hope that others will join them.

WE ASK THAT ALL OF YOU SUPPORT THE OCCIDENTAL COLLEGE STUDENTS IN THEIR
EFFORTS!  IF YOU CAN ATTEND THE DEMONSTRATION, PLEASE DO!

With you in the struggle,

The Free Burma Coalition of Occidental College

Call (213) 590-1815 FOR MORE INFO.
OR E-MAIL chavezi@xxxxxxx

Ismael Chavez '99
Lynwood High School '95

OCCIDENTAL COLLEGE
1600 Campus Road, Box #192
Los Angeles, CA 90041

(213) 590-1815
Internet E-mail: chavezi@xxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.oxy.edu/~chavezi/home.html

                          FOUR WINDS STUDENT MOVEMENT
                                 www.fwsm.org
                           ++++Free Ramsey Muniz++++

"Forgive me, o lord, my little jokes on thee and I'll forgive the great big
one on me."

                                -- Robert Frost
                                   Mercy-Justice Cross