Is it the best way to treat the lea

   Burma's Suu Kyi In 11-Hour Standoff With Police

   RANGOON (AP-Dow Jones)--An 11-hour standoff between riot police and
Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi didn't deter the vice chairman
of her political party from vowing Friday the democrats would continue
their attempts to meet supporters.
   'Despite all these restrictions we are determined to proceed with the
organizational work of the party,' said Tin Oo of the National League for
Democracy.
   The military government blocked Suu Kyi from leaving her home Thursday
for the second time in two weeks.
   The police surrounded a car carrying Suu Kyi and three members of her
party as it left her lakeside compound about 8:30a.m. heading for their
Hlaing township party office in Rangoon.
   Traffic police, riot police and women police officers encircled
Suu Kyi's sedan and threw up barbed wire barricades and spiked saw
horses Thursday morning.
   The government's military intelligence officers requested that
Suu Kyi return to her house, but the NLD leader refused.
   Hearing of the standoff,about a hundred NLD members gathered at the
party's main office on nearby Shwegondine Road to await news of the
outcome.
   The NLD issued a statement condemning the military government's
action, saying it had acted unlawfully in preventing a legal political
party from carrying out its work.
   The government responded by calling her stubborn, and saying
'her act was an obvious confrontational and dishonest political stunt.'
   Suu Kyi remained in her car with the windows rolled up, snacking on
bread, biscuits and milk as the women police officers pulled out chairs
around midday after standing for hours in the hot sun.
   At about 7 p.m. the government cut off the electricity to the nearby
NLD office and the hundred or so supporters dispersed.
   Police then removed the barrZ,X2es and Suu Kyi drove to Tin Oo's home,
without the car full of military intelligence officers that usually
accompanies her.
   The military government said it would not permit Suu Kyi to meet
with supporters outside her home because it could
'disturb peace and tranquility.'
   (END) AP-DOW JONES NEWS 14-11-97
   0438GMT    (AP-DJ-11-14-97 0438GMT) F1508

REMINDER TO ALL,

Excerpt from the FBC's Free Burma Digest

	Distinction between SLORC and BURMA
	===================================
	by Chao-Tzang Yawnghwe

Dear compatriots and friends of democracy in Burma:

It is important that we should always make a distinction in our writings especially between Slorc, the illegal and illigitimate military junta, and Burma (or the
Union of Burma), the country. For example, we should avoid writing "Burma
does not recognize the 1990 elections where the NLD won a landslide
victory", or "The NLD and the democratic opposition opposes Burma's
admission to ASEAN", and so on. In the first sentence, it is Slorc, the
illegitimate junta, which does not recognize the 1990 elections, not
"Burma". In the second, it is Slorc that is being admitted to ASEAN, and
that is why we oppose it, and besides, Slorc do not have the authority to
decide on whether Burma, the country, is to become an ASEAN member or not.
	We should always make this distinction, and whenever possible, we
must insist on this very important distinction between Burma, the country,
and Slorc, the illegal junta. Failure to make this distinction clearly
implies that Slorc represents Burma -- which is not the case.
	Unfortunately, it is a convention to equate a government with the
country -- this stems from the fact that governments in Western
democracies can claim, due to free and fair elections, to represent the
country and even the nation. In Burma and in most "third world" countries,
this is not the case, even if "elections" are held.
	It is patently fraudulent for Slorc to claim to represent Burma
and the nation as a whole -- which they insist without end. It is up to us
to expose this fraud, and this is best achieved by making and insisting
that a distinction be made between Slorc and Burma.
	Peace, Chao-Tzang Yawnghwe