A turncoat message from Win Naing a

Posted by myanmar@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.twics.com/~myanmar
------------------ ----
	The New Light of Myanmar, Friday, 31st October 1997
	Undertaking to do utmost for welfare of Myanmar, the motherland
	Win Naing
	(The warm way of sun light are more suitable than the chill wind from the
south for the better future of Myanmar, the motherland.)
	(a) An advice invaluable for the entire life time
	I, Win Naing, now 38 years old, first arrived in Japan where the weather
was extremely cold, on 6 November 1980. I had been able to visit Japan as a
private scholar with the help of members of the Japan-Myanmar Friendship
Association Mr. Saburo Sakura (deceased) and Katsumi Goto, my parents, my
uncle and aunt. Mr. Yutaka Nakatsuse (deceased), who was an Executive
Committee member of the Japan-Myanmar Friendship Association greeted me at
the Narita Airport. I stayed at his house for about one week. He also takes
Myanmar name U Ba Than Nyunt. Then, I proceeded to Gifu District where I
would study. I studied photography at a company under Fuji Film Co. in Gifu
district from 1980 to 1983. From 1984 onwards I went on studying the Image
Science in the masters course of  the  Chiba University. I was conferred a
doctorate degree on Information Science by Chiba University on 25 March
1989, my 30th birthday.
	From that time onward in Japan up to the completion of my university
education, I had opportunities to meet many Myanmar and Japanese teachers
from whom I learned through lectures, seeing and hearing. A word of advice
which I cannot forget up to this day is a philosophy given by a professor of
the Chiba University when I began my studies at that university. The topic
he lectured was the difference between the Faculty of Engineering and
Faculty of Science. He said that in the field of Faculty of Science the
objective is achieved when a theory stated in a book is also proved in the
book. In the field of Faculty of Engineering it was not so, he said. A
theory, however perfect it may be, will not be so unless anything in the
service of human beings can be produced based on that theory. The word of
advice of Professor Dr. Yoichi Miyake of the Chiba University is invaluable
for my life till today.
	(b) Change of attitude and present position
	The longer I stay abroad the more I love my motherland, my desire to make
my country like other developed nations and to enable each and every
compatriot of mine has become stronger. Based on this attitude I concluded
that there was no alternative except confronting the government in power for
a better future of Myanmar, the mother land. Then, I initiated
anti-government activities in Japan in 1988. My life as a researcher came to
an end. I served my contacts with my relatives including my parents in
Myanmar. I steadfastly led anti-government activities in Japan.
	In my capacity as Chairman of the Burmese Association in Japan I took part
in the activities of the Opposition such as formation of Japanese
Association of Members of the House of Representatives on Myanmar Affairs,
and submitting applications to get refugee status for some Myanmar nationals
in Japan in accordance with the UN treaty on refugees. During that period I
had been in close contact with Japanese members of the House of
Representatives, seniors in the business circles, legal experts, researchers
etc. who are much more experience in initiating Opposition activities and
endevours made by the Myanmar Government from 1992 onwards compelled me to
review my stand on reaching "settlement with Myanmar Government through
confrontation."
	"The method of reaching a settlement with the government in power through
confrontation has less prospect to produce good results for future Myanmar."
I drew my conclusion decisively in the late 1994. Being a graduate of the
Faculty of Engineering course, I totally relinquished the theory of
"settlement through confrontation" which is not conductive to the prevailing
conditions and to the advancement of Myanmar. On 11 November, 1996, I
resigned from the Burmese Association in Japan and other groups in which I
had taken part.
	After discarding the old theory of "settlement through confrontation" I
studied more about documents on economy and publications released by the
Myanmar Government, publications on Myanmar by political and research
organizations of Japan, facts about the Meiji Period of Japan and modern age
of Japan. Then I came to realize the situation in which the leading
personalities of Myanmar are engaged having to encounter various
difficulties. I have found that there do exist dignitaries in Myanmar
Government who are endeavouring for the sole objective-better future of the
nation. After studying the history of Japan I understand that Japan's future
was shaped through collaborative efforts through understanding in spite of
the differences of opinion. I also understand that a genuine and prosperous
democratic society will  not emerge by shouting for "democracy",
"humanrights" but it can only be built when economic, social, education and
social security requirements are fulfilled. Based on my understanding, I am
now trying to realize the attitude and stance of the government in power and
at the same time I am prepared to do my duty for the country's better future.
	Taking the new position stated above and based on the saying that an empty
sack cannot stand upright, I started to work along with the Japanese and
Myanmar Friends holding the new theory requiring efforts to secure greater
number of genuine and correct investments that are essential for the welfare
of future Myanmar. Present opposing groups inside and outside Japan which
put in the fore the issue of human rights only have strongly protested my
change of attitude and my activities.
	Being an ordinary person, I, Win Naing, uphold humanrights and value them
much. However, if the entire population of the country's 45 millions is
taken into account, humanrights issue alone is not important. Economy is
highly important for meeting the basic needs of each and every citizen of
the nation. The theory of giving first priority to humanrights and second
priority to economy may be right theoretically. In practice, it may not,
there is a Myanmar saying the equivalent of which is "An empty sack cannot
stand upright" and a Japanese saying which roughly means that a big army, in
spite of its strength, will not active victory if it has no supplies and
goes hungry. I believe both indicate practical weakness of human beings.
	On 27 September 1997, I attended a debate on Myanmar at the Japanese Office
in Tokyo of the Amnesty International as the sole speaker. Old friends
(currently opposing groups) were also present. An old colleague of mine
raised a question that he believed the results of the 1990 election should
be implemented without fail and asked what my opinion was. My opinion is
that if interests of the nation and the people are to be harmed followed by
sufferings in the long run because of implementing the results of the 19990
election forcefully, then the work should be suspended. Priority is to be
given to physical and spiritual well-being and welfare of the future Myanmar
Naing-Ngan.
	The Myanmar Government began practicing market economy after promulgating
the Foreign Investment Law in September 1988. The present government has
been implementing the 13-year plan from 1989-90 to 2000-2001. The GDP in
1995-96 was re registered at +6.9 per cent compared with the - 11.4 percent
in 1988-89, thanks to earnest efforts of the Government and the people.
Individual income of the people also increased to K13,132 in 1995-96 from
K1,749 in 1988-89. I am well aware of the fact that certain changes need to
be made in the economy of Myanmar in view of trade deficits resulting from
greater cost of imports than exports due to the rise in commodity prices and
inflation.
	I have read most of the Western economists have the view that success can
not be achieved if the government involvement in the market economy is
great. However, such a view can not be true cent per cent for a nation like
Japan. I believe that like Japan, the Government in Myanmar should play a
leading role effectively implementing the economic plans for a certain
period (till the Myanmar national- owned enterprises in the fields of
monetary matters, technology etc.)
	If we study the root causes of the economic advancement of Japan we will
find that the change- over from traditional manual methods of commodity
production to industrialization is an important one. The value of
agricultural produce of Myanmar constitutes 38.5 per cent of the GDP while
the value of industrial products stands at only 8.7 percent. There will be
greater earnings if there is more industrialization in Myanmar's
manufacturing sector.
	Sincere and true foreign investments are vital for development of domestic
production. I would like to define the meaning of sincere and true foreign
investment as the capital invested by a foreign country which wishes to help
for the prosperity of Myanmar's future and not only on profit motive. I
believe that more effective combination of such investments and the present
Government's leadership will lead to improvement in quality of Myanmar's
products and increase in production value, remedying inflation and trade
deficit the nation is facing today to a certain level. Based on this
conviction, I am organizing Myanmar and Japanese friends in Japan to promote
such investments in Myanmar.
	(d) The attitude the opposition groups should have
	"We the National League for Democracy) are working for the welfare of
Myanmar. The present Government is also striving for development and
prosperity of Myanmar. There is no reason not to cooperate", said Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi on 11 July 1995 the day on which she was lifted from
restrictions. However, the acts (rejecting the invitation extended by
Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt) of NLD in September are much different from
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's words. NLD should not make bargains to invitations
from anyone with any attitude. They should be ready for any dialogues and
should attend without fail. I understand that such commitments are the
actions of a real political party.
	The present Government after assessing the national condition and
overcoming many difficulties is dealing NLD, making utmost compromises. I
have assessed that Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt and other high- level officials have
overcome many difficulties in striving for Myanmar to enter the ASEAN
family. I assume that setting up preconditions to achieve their demand cent
per cent will only lead to obstacles dialogue. Basic principles for a true
dialogue are understanding each other and complying with each other. If NLD
truly wishes development and prosperity of Myanmars in the future, they
should change their hard-line stance to a flexible attitude. They should not
insist upon the precondition that they will come to the table only if their
demands will be achieved cent per cent. Opposition groups including NLD
should temporarily set aside their individual views and seriously seek means
to cooperate with the present Government if they truly desire the betterment
of Myanmars' future. Like the saying "The other person is your mirror",
opposition groups including NLD should soften their stance and should desire
only toward prosperity of future Myanmar. I firmly believe that the
Government will welcome with pleasure their flexible attitude.
	(E) Committed to the welfare of the motherland
	Future prosperity of a nation lies not on its my conviction that every
individual citizen has the responsibility for this task. It has now been 17
years since I have been in Japan. I would like to take part for the
prosperity of my mother country based on the school education acquired, life
experiences I have gained and friends I have won as an opposition member and
the factors that have changed my conviction during the 17 years in Japan. It
is my current desire. I hereby pledge to participate with all my efforts for
the betterment of my mother country.
	I would like to express my thanks to an executive of Japan-Myanmar
Friendship Association, Mr. Kuwabara, who has rendered assistance to feature
this article in the association's publication. With this, I conclude my article.
	-------------------
	The columnist had acted as the Secretary of Burmese Association in Japan
(BAIJ), which was formed in Hamamatsu Town, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. He
usually took part in anti-Myanmar Government activities which were staged in
front of Myanmar Embassy in Tokyo, and distributed letters of demands and
protests. He was also a member of Burma Democratic Council (International),
which was formed in Chicago, USA, on 8 July 1989. These have organized
Myanmar expatriates and are always opposing the State Law and Order
Restoration Council, blacking out the true information on Myanmar and
exaggerating her disadvantages. Although he is one of the members of these
organizations, he has continuously studied Myanmar's international affairs.
This article has been distributed in English, Myanmar and Japanese.

http://www2.gol.com/users/brelief/Index.htm