[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index
INFORMATION SHEET No. A-0197(I/L)
- Subject: INFORMATION SHEET No. A-0197(I/L)
- From: OKKAR66127@xxxxxxx
- Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 01:47:00
No. A-0197(I/L) Date.5-11-97
Authorities Prevent NLD from Holding Unauthorized Rallies
to Maintain Stability and Tranquility in the Nation
The government of Myanmar is trying to move the country towards democracy
within a solidified union and a supportive economic infrastructure. In doing
so the government is interested in meeting its commitments while it expects
others to meet theirs. For the long term benefit of Myanmar it is important
that the National League for Democracy Party plays a constructive role and
cooperates with the authorities and (9) others legally existing political
parties in the country to create conditions necessary to support a fully
functioning democracy in Myanmar.
Regretfully, Daw Su Kyi's rigid and uncompromising stance towards the
authorities has created unnecessary setbacks for Myanmar in its transition
towards democracy. The confrontational line she has been pursuing in the
political arena has quite often forced the authorities to take necessary
measures intending to maintain stability in the country by the lawful
enforcement. Unfortunately, her actions and motives are not only unsupportive
in the building of democratic institutions but serious setback for Myanmar in
becoming a functioning democracy within a reasonable amount of time.
Daw Su Kyi's attempts to hold unauthorized political activities in various
townships in spite of the incessant requests by the relevant township
authorities not to do so are seen as a confrontational stance taken to create
conditions to make the government seemingly repressive and rigid.
Although, through the international media, she has created an image where
her activities and movements have been severely restricted by the government.
In reality it is not to be such so. (Please refer to appendix (A) for
activities Daw Su Kyi has taken for the month of October.)
The relevant authorities have from time to time extended every effort to be
sure that these political activities are held conveniently as long as they
are conducted within the framework of the law and within the establish
regulations governing such meetings.
It is very much regretful and surprising to witness that Daw Su Kyi, who
has been criticizing the Myanmar Government for not being a democracy has
failed to realize that even in a full-fledged democratic society political
activities have to be conducted with the framework of the law. Activities
intended to create civil unrest, disobedience are not tolerated by any
government in the world regardless of political system they practise.
In order to prevent any unnecessary incidents from taking place the NLD
Tamwe Township representatives have been informed by the relevant authorities
to refrain from holding unauthorized outdoor political rally in the township
on the 5th of November. It is also learnt that Daw Su Kyi's effort to attend
the Tamwe Township NLD rally has been prevented from realization.
Daw Su Kyi's Activities in October 1997
A chronology of Daw Su Kyi's activities which took place at her residence
and outside her residential compound-
(1) Oct. 1st - Visited Panitayarma Shwe Taung Gone Monastery with son (Kim)
- Visited mother Daw Khin Kyi's grave with son (Kim).
- Went to Mingladon International Airport to see off Kim.
(2) Oct. 2nd - Round table discussion inside residential compound attended by
52 NLD youths.
- Dr. Thet Min visited Daw Su Kyi at her residence.
(3) Oct. 6th - NLD C.E.C members met at Daw Su Kyi's residence for a meeting.
- NLD female members met with Daw Su Kyi at her residence.
(4) Oct. 8th - NLD Pa-An Township representative met with Daw Su Kyi at her
(5) Oct. 17th - Held a religious ceremony of paying homage to some elderly
politicians altogether (300) person participated.
(6) Oct. 18th - Attended birthday party of an acquaintance.
(7) Oct. 19th - Visited (5) residences including former President of Myanmar
Mahn Win Maung.
- Held a religious ceremony inviting 5 monks at university avenue
(8) Oct. 20th - Held meeting with (9) C.E.C members at residence.
- Danuphyu Township NLD representative and wife visited university avenue
- Meikhtila Township NLD representatives visited university avenue
- NLD youths visited university avenue residence.
(9) Oct. 21st - Visited NLD Thaketa Township office.
(10) Oct. 22th - C.E.C member U Lwin and family visited residence to
celebrate U Lwin's birthday.
(11) Oct. 23rd - NLD youths visited residence for a discussion.
- Visited shops at Mayangone and Sule Pagoda Road.
(12) Oct. 25th - Visited U Tin Oo's residence.
(13) Oct. 26th - Visited (4) residences of acquaintances.
(14) Oct. 27th - Invited (5) monks to university avenue residence.
(15) Oct. 28th - Visited NLD Mayangone Township office.
Chronology of Exchange of Visits Between Daw Su Kyi and Some
of the Yangon Diplomatic Corps.
(1) Oct. 10th - Visited French Ambassador at his residence.
- Visited British Ambassador at his residence.
- US CDA visited her at university avenue residence.
(2) Oct. 11th - British Ambassador's spouse visited her at residence.
(3) Oct. 15th - (3) former US Ambassadors and US CDA visited her at
- Counsellor of German Embassy visited her at residence.
(4) Oct. 17th - Visited Philippine Ambassador at her residence.
- Philippine Ambassador visited her residence.
(5) Oct. 21st - Australian Ambassador visited her residence.
(6) Oct. 24th - Chairman of one French company visited her residence.
- Visited French Ambassador at residence.
(7) Oct. 27th - A British and a Swede visited her residence.
(8) Oct. 29th - CDA of Italian Embassy visited her residence.
(9) Oct. 30th - Visited Japanese Ambassador's residence.
(10)Oct. 31st - Visited French Ambassador's residence.