Nike Mobilization Growing!

/* Written  1:44 PM  Oct 15, 1997 by clr in igc:labr.announcem */
/* ---------- "Nike Mobilization Growing!" ---------- */
Labor Alerts/Labor News
a service of Campaign for Labor Rights
1247 "E" Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
<clr@xxxxxxxxxxx>   (541) 344-5410   http://www.compugraph.com/clr

THE LIST KEEPS GROWING!!! -- 27 U.S. states, 12 countries!!!
Preparations for international Nike mobilization head into final week

Each day, more communities and campuses are letting us know about their
plans for participation in the October 18 international mobilization in
support of the rights of Nike's overseas workers. This event is being
organized with minimal resources. People all around the world who care
passionately about ending sweatshop abuses have given life to this campaign.
We are thrilled to be able to report the following list of places whose
plans we know about. (Our past experience tells us that there must be many
other places where human rights advocates have organized events for the 18th
but have not notified us. If your planned event is not on this list, PLEASE
send us a report.) There are many other places where activists are
interested in putting together an event but had not reported definite plans
as of this writing.

Three items:

*   Because of the tremendous response to this call to action, we are
planning on doing another international Nike mobilization in 6 months, in
April of 1998.

*   If your organization is not already involved in other sweatshop
campaigns besides the Nike struggle, Campaign for Labor Rights urges
you to
consider linking your Nike campaign work to the wider struggle to eradicate
sweatshop abuses and exploitative child labor.

*   Would your organization like to be listed in our newsletter and our
labor alerts as a local contact for anti-sweatshop activity? If so, please
let us know.

Status Report
list of known planned activities on or near the 18th

UNITED STATES:

ARIZONA
Phoenix

CALIFORNIA
Redwood City
Riverside
Sacramento
San Francisco
Santa Barbara
Terra Linda (Marin County)

COLORADO
University of Colorado; Boulder
Denver

CONNECTICUT
Waterford

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Washington, DC

FLORIDA
University of South Florida; Sarasota
Florida State University; Tallahassee

GEORGIA
University of Georgia; Atlanta

ILLINOIS
Chicago
Black Hawk College; Moline
University of Illinois; Urbana-Champaign

INDIANA
Kokomo

IOWA
University of Iowa; Iowa City

MASSACHUSETTS
Boston
College of the Holy Cross; Worcester

MARYLAND
Baltimore
University of Maryland; Catonsville

MICHIGAN
University of Michigan; Ann Arbor
Grand Rapids

MINNESOTA
Minneapolis
St. Cloud State University; St. Cloud

MISSOURI
Joplin

NEW JERSEY
New Brunswick

NEW MEXICO
Albuquerque

NEW YORK
New York City
Rochester

NORTH CAROLINA
Chapel Hill
Durham

OHIO
Oberlin College; Oberlin

OREGON
Eugene
Linfield College; McMinnville (sending a contingent to Portland)
Portland

PENNSYLVANIA
Lehigh Valley
Penn State University; University Park

TEXAS
Austin

UTAH
Salt Lake City

WASHINGTON
Everett
Olympia
Seattle

WISCONSIN
Madison

WYOMING
University of Wyoming; Laramie

AUSTRALIA:
Brisbane
Lismore
Melbourne
Sydney
more cities expected to participate
several campuses all around the country

CANADA:
Edmonton, Alberta
Vancouver, British Columbia
Toronto, Ontario

ENGLAND

FINLAND:
Helsinki
Kuopio

ITALY

MALAYSIA:
Kuala Lumpur

THE NETHERLANDS:
Amsterdam

NEW ZEALAND:
Auckland
Christchurch
Dunedin
Hamilton
Whangarei

SINGAPORE:
secret distribution of leaflets (because of repression)

SWEDEN:
Stockholm

SWITZERLAND:
Zrich

CAMPAIGN FOR LABOR RIGHTS newsletter subscriptions:  Send $35.00 to
1247 "E"
Street SE, Washington, DC 20003.  For a sample copy, send your postal
address to <clr@xxxxxxxxxxx>.
To receive our email Labor Alerts, send a message to <clr@xxxxxxxxxxx> with
"labor alerts -- all campaigns" in the subject line or specify which labor
issues interest you:  Nike, Disney, Guess, child labor, Guatemala, Mexico,
Nicaragua, El Salvador, US farm workers, US poultry processing
workers.   If
you would like to receive information which falls outside those categories
(prison labor, workfare, other policy issues, additional briefing material
on some campaigns), indicate that you want to be on our Additional Labor
Information list as well as our All Campaigns list.  To stop receiving this
service, check to see whether you have received our alerts directly
from us
or as a reposting via some other list.  Send an email message to the address
listed in the "return path" saying that you want to unsubscribe.
IF YOU EXPERIENCE A BREAK IN OUR LABOR ALERT SERVICE, send us an email
verifying that you still want to receive our alerts and indicating which
lists (see above) you want to be on.  For various technical reasons, many
email messages are "bounced back." Our largest lists are now on an automated
system which drops any address which malfunctions, even if because of a
temporary problem with your email server.  Although our alert system is
becoming automated, you can still communicate with a real person at Campaign
for Labor Rights.  Send your messages to <clr@xxxxxxxxxxx>.