Democracy Leaders Urge Regime Polit

RANGOON, Sept 28 (Reuter) - Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi
pressed on Sunday for the release of political prisoners held by the ruling
military junta and urged it to open political talks with her party.

Suu Kyi estimated that there were about 1,000 political prisoners being held
by the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC).

Her National League for Democracy (NLD) also demanded that the SLORC honour
the results of the 1990 general election, where a sweeping opposition victory
was never recognised by the military.

``The NLD calls for convening of a parliament immediately after approving the
results of the 1990 general elections,'' said one of 10 resolutions adopted
by the NLD at the end of a two-day special party meeting at Suu Kyi's
lakeside residence in Rangoon.

The meeting, held in a makeshift tent and attended by some 700 delegates,
marked the ninth anniversary of the NLD's founding.

It was held with the blessing of the SLORC, which had limited numbers
attending to 300 but took no action against the overflow, unlike a year ago
when it thwarted a similar meeting by detaining over 400 delegates.

The military on Sunday maintained tight security checkpoints along University
Avenue where Suu Kyi lives.

``We really thank the authorities for their kind cooperation in enabling us
to hold this ceremony,'' Suu Kyi told delegates. ``I would like to request
them to keep providing assistance in future so that we will be able to
continue our activities.

``I am firmly convinced that the NLD and the authorities will be able to
cooperate holding hands together to work for the country,'' she said.

In May, regional authorities prevented about 100 NLD delegates from attending
a meeting to mark the seventh anniversary of the 1990 election.

In November 1995 the NLD walked out of a government-appointed National
Assembly convened to draft a new constitution. Since then the SLORC, angered
by the walkout, has been at loggerheads with the NLD and curbed its political
activities.

The NLD has in turn accused the SLORC of human rights abuses and political
repression.

Earlier this month, a meeting sought by the SLORC's powerful ``Secretary
One,'' Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt, with senior NLD leaders fell through
because the NLD insisted Suu Kyi should be present.

The SLORC does not recognise Suu Kyi's opposition role and did not invite her
to the proposed meeting.

In an apparent response, the NLD reiterated in a resolution that it had
mandated key representatives of the party for all important matters to be its
chairman U Aung Shwe and secretary general Suu Kyi.

``We confirm the mandate given to the party chairman and general secretary to
deal with all party affairs,'' said another resolution.

``I believe that not only problems concerning the NLD but also all national
concerns will be resolved if we discuss and seek more mutual understanding,''
Suu Kyi said.

Analysts and diplomats said the SLORC allowed the meeting to take place this
time because it did not want to provoke western criticism by creating new
incidents.

Burmese Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw is attending the U.N. General Assembly and
the SLORC did not want to tarnish its image at this critical time, they said.