My view on the failed dialogue.....

My view on the failed dialogue........ By   U Thaung

It is learnt that the Burmese Minister of Foreign Affairs, U Ohn Gyaw is
ready to answer questions on the failed dialigue with the SLORC and the
NLD, at an Asia Society function in New York.
My dear minister, for me I have no question, because I already know the
answers clearly.  Here is my deduction, please convey my conclusion to
your masters.
It is obvious that the failure of  SLORC's invitation to NLD for the
dialogue  should be blamed on Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt, Secretary (1) of the
State Law and Order Restoration Council.  Though the intention of the
meeting  is one of the most important step for the SLORC, he  did not
invite the NLD leaders properly.  He gave only 17 hours of night time for
the NLD leaders to prepare for the dialogue.
	More over the most improper act is that a MIS officer knocked  at
NLD President Aung Shwe's residence  late in the evening and announced
that he come in the morning for discussion.  No Burmese wants such kind of
invitation.  Such an invitation is a bad omen in Burma.  Thousands of
Burmese were invited like this and ended up in the prisons instead of
meeting tables. ( I certainly know that because I am one of those
victims.)  None trust such enticement by a MIS officer in Burma.
	It seemed that the SLORC  intended to make a propaganda show
claiming that they are sincere for a dialogue and blame the NLD for
failure. It's merely a childish trick, that the Burmese as well as the
civilized world will not buy this.
	The generals should know that the international ( including ASEAN
nations) pressure for meeting with Daw Aung San Su Kyi is a means to
change the current political system in Burma. Ruling a nation by a group
of military officers in the form of a committee is not  practical, even
illegal.  It must be changed. The world asked the SLORC  to talk with the
real people's leaders to seek ways to change the system. It's not
suggested to invite for a tea party.
	Furthermore, the generals should look back  at what they have done
to the nation.  A rich nation had been  turned into a pauper state.
Inflation is  in uncontrollable situation.  People are starving while
holding  big bags of worthless  Kyat papers.  The  Finance Minister is
kowtowing down at the World Bank meeting to grant loans, while some
general pressured a Japanese firm to guarantee for a small loan to the
Burmese Government from a Japanese commercial bank.  Though the SOLRC
stopped  press meetings , these facts could not be hidden  from
actualities.  It's a chaotic situation that the Government even dare not
open the Universities for fear of demonstrations.
	In this situation the only way out for them is to abandon the
military rule system and for that sole purpose, they must talk to the
people's leaders, to seek ways and means of change.  The SLORC must have a
blue print  for that  purpose- to dismantle the military dictatership
machine.
Not only that,  the SLORC must prove their sincerity to the NLD leaders
prior to the invitation.  U Ne Win is still alive, they should not forget
their master.  They should follow the Newinian way of negotiation.  In
June 1963, Ne Win invited leaders of armed rebels to come to Rangoon to
talk peace .  Three months before that he announced general amnesty and
released all the political prisoners.
Thus I  request SLORC to soften its stance for the sake of national
reconciliation and reduce its suppression of the democratic opposition.
Why not release all the political prisoners for the sucess of the
dialogue? After that, please invite the NLD leaders again properly giving
 them enough time to prepare for the conference.
	For a meaningful dialogue, the invitation cards should not be sent
by name, it should simply ask for a delegation.  The NLD, I believed have
already decided their choice of delegate members.
I am an admirer of Daw Aung San Su Kyi as national leader and my respect
enhanced when I read the following story written by Yindee Lertchroenchok
 in the Thai leading newspaper The Nation (30-5-97)

      x x x x x x x
 	"In her recent proposal to SLORC, the Nobel Prize
laureate agreed to stay out of any NLD dialogue with the ruling
generals.

"Suu Kyi has assured SLORC that the NLD was not seeking power and that the
dialogue could be "unconditional?? and "secret" and be
"talk about talk", "talk about agenda" or "talk about modality".

"She agreed that she would stay out of the talks and let other top
NLD leaders - U Kyi Maung? U Tin Oo and U Aung Shwe - participate
in them. Asean countries have been informed of Suu Kyi's latest
peace overture, according to the sources. "
   x  x  x  x  x
In accordance with this policy,  I am sured that the NLD leaders are
prepared, always ready for the talk. I believe they have  plans for a
process of  changing the nation on the right tract- a new democratic
nation.

U Thaung

http://www2.gol.com/users/brelief/Index.htm