Statement by NLD(LA) AUSTRALIA on 9

STATEMENT by NLD(LA)AUSTRALIA ON 9TH ANNIVERSARY OF FORMATION OF THE
NATIONAL LEAGUE FOR DEMOCRACY IN BURMA

Today is the 9th anniversary of formation of the National League for
Democracy in Burma.  NLD was formed on 27th September 1988 and is now
standing legally in Burma.  From its very inception, NLD has laid down its
objectives as follows : (a) to establish a genuine democratic country with
the consent of the people which guarantees fundamental human rights; (b) to
systematically create a democratic movement based on the strength of the
people's unity through the leadership of the NLD in order to fulfil
objective (a); (c) to lay a foundation for the preservation of a
long-lasting Union in harmony with the will of the people for generations
to come; (d) to strive to prevent the return of repressive and despotic
political systems.  The NLD participated in May 1990 election and won a
landslide victory as it has succeeded in its endeavour to gain people's
trust and support. But up to now, SLORC has been still rejecting the
election results and trying to neglect to honour their own promises.  NLD
has repeatedly called SLORC for dialogue and made its position clear by
stating that holding a dialogue signifies noble intentions and parties
involved should not adopt aggressive or reproachful attitudes so that a
mutually beneficial compromise can be found.  Since its taking of people's
power, 9 years has already elapsed and no progress towards a democratic
system in Burma has been seen yet.  Intimidation, harassment,
discriminatory act, arrest, summary execution, imprisonment and torture
become the daily practices of the ruling military regime.  NLD, the winning
party of 1990 election, is still patiently and painstakingly trying to
solve the national problems peacefully.  SLORC should have responded
good-naturedly and sincerely to the calls for dialogue by NLD.  But
unfortunately, we regret to say that the offer for a dialogue made by SLORC
 a couple of days ago to the chairman of NLD, U Aung Shwe, was not a
sincere one as it has excluded our leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  In our
mankind history all the hard-learned lessons indicated that truth always
prevailed at last.  We, democratic forces, have a firm belief that we must
prevail in our quest for democracy and human rights in Burma.

Long live NLD.

Down with dictatorship and Militarism.

National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Australia