An NGO who took the advantage over (r)

ATTENTION TO: MR.  THIERRY COLOMBET PROJECT COORDI-
              NATOR, AMI, THAILAND.
FROM        : SAYTAMAN TEAM, CHIANG MAI
DATE        : 06/05/97

Dear Mr. Thierry Colombet:

        We,  members  from  the  Saytaman  Magazine
signed  and  submitted  following  suggestions  and
comments  for  existing  problems  of the  Saytaman
magazine. Please keep this information as your con-
fidential.

PROFESSIONAL RELATIONS
- Although  we do not  want to  criticise  personal
  affairs, these indirectly affect our working pro-
  cess.  We do want to criticize professional rela-
  tions with  Saytaman coordinator and  among other
  Saytaman team members.  Coordinator usually makes
  her own decisions regarding supervision and mana-
  gement of the magazine  without proper considera-
  tion.
Eg
1) Mr. Than Aye,  distribution manager  has to deal
   with the local organisation concerned  for secu-
   rity reason but the co-ordinator disagrees to do
   so.
2) The staff  members,  including  medical  expert,
   resented  the  way  the  coordinator  patronized
   them.  Sometime she shouts at staff members ins-
   tead of solving  the problems  peacefully.  This
   kind of behavior  is unacceptable as a coordina-
   tor.

UNEQUAL BENEFIT
- When coordinator has to  distribute the magazine,
  she usually uses a lot of money such as renting a
  car around 10,000 baht for a week. But other mem-
  bers are not allowed to use 20 baht for each meal
  during distribution.
- Usually NGOs rent the office costing  5,000-7,000
  baht per month in Chiang Mai,  and use it only as
  an office -- not as well as a home. In compare to
  that,  Saytaman office cost 12,000 baht per month
  for rental and  it is also use  as a residence by
  the coordinator. Other members are not allowed to
  stay at the office for a night, even in difficult
  situation.  When  we  complaint  about  the  busy
  guests  and  high cost  of the  phone bills,  she
  always says, "this is my home".
- With insufficient reasons,  she rented  a car for
  over a month and cost 20,000 baht.  At that time,
  no member of other staffs is allowed to use it.
- Even though there are many overseas and long dis-
  tance calls cost estimated 12,000-17,000 baht per
  month  while other members are  forbidden  to use
  the telephone as a receiver.

THREATENING ABOUT DISMISSAL
- When the  coordinator and  other members have the
  controversy,  she usually  threatens to  unfairly
  dismiss them  without giving  any proper reasons.
  So the staff members are afraid  of loosing their
  jobs and,  due to the fact that they have to work
  base on her favor so that  their function can not
  be improved.

POSSIBLE FUTURE ROLE OF THE COORDINATOR
- To coordinate and cooperate among the NGOs, donor
  agencies, AMI Bangkok/Paris.
- To contact  with  editorial members and  organize
  the editorial meeting.
- To supervise and advise  on the magazine functio-
  nal process in general not in particular.
- To explain the financial situation/budget so that
  the rest  members  realize  the magazine  project
  well.

THE REASON OF DELAYING OF THE MAGAZINE
- There are three main reasons for  delaying of the
  magazine to be published:

1) Existing system
        According to the existing system, we have to
wait editorial committee approval before publishing.
The editorial committee members who come  from diff-
erent NGOs and background have dissimilar  knowledge
and  skill.  Sometimes  we could not  receive  clear
massage and decisions from the editorial meeting.

2) The weakness of coordinator
        The  coordinator  or  chief editor  has been
working  for the  Saytaman since  at the beginnings.
She must be aware of  which way is best for Saytaman
in order to  publish the magazine  in time and regu-
larly. But last editorial meeting was  the worst one
as  coordinator  just  followed  the process  of the
meeting and could not able  to perform  to reach any
agreements clearly at the end of the meeting.

3) The articles have been changed very often
        After  editorial  committee  does not  agree
with one or two articles, we have to rewrite and re-
create the articles or  find the new articles.  That
takes times, as we have to start from the beginning.

COORDINATOR ASSISTANCE
- Coordinator has proposed Mr. Sam to be coordinator
  assistance for the magazine  in last team meeting.
  We are not  very clear  this position  in the team
  and seem to be overlap with other member's respon-
  sibility. Sincerely we believe that if coordinator
  works  in proper  way Saytaman  does not  need  so
  called coordinator assistance.  It also shows that
  coordinator does not work efficiently.
- There is not this kind of position and  job in the
  NGO and, we believe that Saytaman should not spend
  any money for that unnecessary position.  Annettee
  said Mr. Therry  has already agreed Mr. Sam  to be
  coordinating assistance in Saytaman and we have to
  accept it, as this position is urgently needed.

CONCLUSION and FINAL COMMENTS
1. Professional  relations:   The coordinator should
   deal with  other staff members based  on the res-
   ponsibility of each staff member.  She can criti-
   cize them if they are undutiful.
2. Office:  Office and residence should be separated
   in order  to avoid  many social and  professional
   problems.  eg the guests use the phone during the
   office hours,  and sometimes they use in holidays
   when office manager is not there.
3. Vacation and holiday should be  clarified and all
   the members should be beneficial for that.
4. Limitation  of the allowance:   The grant  of the
   allowances  in terms  of travelling fee,  renting
   car should be limited in certain amount of money.
5. Car, TV, video should not be bought for the mean-
   time. A new computer is suggested to have for the
   office as many people use the present one.
6. The decisions concerning with the magazine should
   be carried out by the team meeting,  not by coor-
   dinator alone.
7. Chief editor should be fluent  in Burmese and En-
   glish as Saytaman used to publish both languages.
   He/She should be knowledgeable person for medical
   subjects, and of course medical doctor is prefer-
   able for that position.
8. The office manager  should monitor  telephone and
   all  calls  (except local  Chiang Mai  code area)
   must be recorded  by the users  including profes-
   sional and personal.  Personal calls must be paid
   by the respective operators.
9. Coordinating assistance  is not necessary for the
   Saytaman on the meantime.  It will cause disunity
   among team members.

Sincerely yours,

(Dr. Aung Myat Hla) Medical Expert
(Thu Ya) Burmese Editor
(Than Aye) Distribution Manager
(Soe Lwin) Layout
(Mi Mi) Office Manager

ATTENTION: THIERRY COLOMBET
FROM     : SAYTAMAN (CHIANG MAI)
DATE     : 03/06/97
PAGE     : 2
PAGES FAX: 02- 6520 1 	1 9

Dear Mr. Colombet:
Warm greetings from Chiang Mai!
We would like to inform you the followings:

1. Financial crisis
a) We,  members  of the Saytaman team, have not re-
   ceived  our salaries yet.  We usually receive it
   around the 25th days  of the month.  Some of our
   team members need to pay house rentals and other
   expenses.
b) We have  no money  to pay for overseas telephone
   bill for the month  of April and  May that costs
   12,000  Baht,  and local telephone bill  for the
   month of April that costs 12,000 Baht too. So we
   might  face the problem  of telephone disconnec-
   tion if we do not pay as soon as possible.
c) And also  we have to pay  office rental  for the
   month of June. It is 12,000 Baht.

2. Employment for the post of coordination
   assistance
a) Regarding this  position,  as we  submitted  the
   previous letter to you:  we totally object  this
   newly created  unnecessary position  in Saytaman
   team.
b) We gradually realize  that Sam  initially worked
   in the team as a volunteer  as well as part-time
   freelance  for layout.  As Annette being poor in
   proficiency  of English,  she relied  on him and
   she  wants  him to help  for her job  instead of
   working  by herself.  Without  taking  agreement
   from the members, she appointed him as an assis-
   tance co-ordinator.
c) Sam informs Annette about the members' daily ac-
   tivities that are unilateral and prejudiced. And
   also it is ridiculous  and incorrect.  This kind
   of behavior is unacceptable and  it creates dis-
   unity and misunderstanding among the members. So
   it gradually  develops  into Sam and  Annette on
   one side and  the others  on the  another  side.
   This is also inappropriate.
d) Sam has used office facilities not only for Say-
   taman but also  for his own job  as a sales man.
   And also he is staying in the office as his home
   since he got back from the US.

3. Irresponsibility of the coordinator
a) Although she has  to work according to the sche-
   dules regarding financial affairs she is totally
   irresponsible as a coordinator.  Saytaman should
   be able to run without her presence. We finaliz-
   ed all the articles of coming edition, Issue No.
   5 a couple of weeks ago.
b) We would like to  report you the  most important
   information concerning  with distribution expen-
   ses. Annette supposed  to spend a sum of  50,000
   Baht for the local distributors  of Saytaman ma-
   gazine Issue  No. 2 and 3.  (Please refer to the
   cash book, February 1997, Dated 26/02/1997, Bill
   No. Q00101  to Q00104 for the local distributors
   in Thailand and Burma.)  So far as we aware, she
   spent only 2,500 Baht for the distributors.  So,
   we  would like to know  the detailed  balance of
   the account.
c) Although she has the responsibility  to transfer
   the authority  to Saytaman members  while she is
   away from the office,  she failed to do so.  In-
   stead of doing this,  with her  own personal de-
   sire she transferred the authority to Sam who is
   totally incompatible with all the members of the
   Saytaman  team.  So please take all these things
   to your account  with great concern.  The future
   prospect of the magazine will not be  certain in
   terms of publishing,  circulating and  coordina-
   tion without solving above mentioned problems.

We do hope you will be able to take quick and pro-
per action.

Sincerely yours,
(Saytaman Team)
Dr. Aung Myat Hla,