LETTER TO THE PRIME MINISTER OF THA (r)

LETTER TO THE PRIME MINISTER OF THAILAND
Please send similar letters as part of the Refugee campaign of Amnesty International
---------------------------------------

Mrs. A. Sloot
Gashouderstraat 9
1815 BC Alkmaar
the Netherlands

September 9, 1997.

Chevalit Yongchaiyudh
Prime Minister
Office of the Prime Minister
Minister Government House
Nakhom Pathom Road
Bangkok 10300
Thailand

Dear Prime Minister,

Please allow me to draw your attention to the following matter.

	The work of the United Nations High Commisioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is overseen by its Executive Committee (ExCom), which is comprised of representatives of 51 states who are particularly involved in refugee matters.

	Your country is one of the member states of ExCom and has not ratified the 1951 UN-Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol. This Convention lays down minimum rights to which refugees are entitled.

	I therefore urgently ask you to use your influence in order to ensure that your country, member state of ExCom, ratifies the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.

In closing, I thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Most respectfully yours,

A.J. Sloot