DBSO: Letter to ASEAN

The following letter was sent to members (Head of States) of the Association
of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
--------------------

DEMOCRATIC BURMESE STUDENTS' ORGANIZATION (USA)
Office of the Central Committee
P.O. Box 443, Rockville, MD 20848-0443
Facsimile: (301)468-9672; Email: Dbsousa@xxxxxxx

September 2, 1997

Your Excellency,

On behalf of the members of the Democratic Burmese Students' Organization
(DBSO-USA) and on our own behalf, the Central Committee of the DBSO
would like to express our grave concern over the recent political
repression in Burma. We strongly condemn the present Burmese military
regime, which imposed harsh and inhumane prison sentences on August 15, 1997
on the four Burmese nationals - U Myo Aung Thant, Executive Committee
member of the Federation of Trade Unions of Burma (FTUB); U Cho Aung
Than, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's cousin and close aide; his sister Daw Nge
Ma Ma Than, and her spouse U Myint Swe.

        The Burmese military junta, also known as the State Law and
Order Restoration Council (SLORC), became a member of the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) last July. It is totally against the
will of the people of Burma. Several thousands of political prisoners,
including students and monks remain in hellish jails throughout the
country without fair trial. Accepting SLORC as a member of ASEAN is a
total disaster and policy failure of ASEAN in its modern history. SLORC
is taking advantage of the ASEAN membership to continue its worst human
rights abuses against its own people.

        The SLORC's recent imposition of harsh prison sentences on the four
people is actually a flagrant violation of international norms and
conspicuous contempt of justice and human rights in a civilized society.
ASEAN's promise of using its influence to foster national reconciliation
and democratic reforms in Burma will be ridiculous and naive. We
strongly believe that ASEAN is somewhat responsible for SLORC's human
rights abuses, since it has initiated its constructive engagement policy and
accepted Burma as a new member, which boosted political legitimacy of
SLORC.  We strongly urge you to condemn SLORC's continuing repression.

        Once again, we express our grave concern over the deteriorating
situation in Burma and its threat to regional peace and security. We
believe that you will take necessary action for the best interest of the
friendly relations between your country and the future democratic Burma.

Sincerely yours,

(Signed)
Ko Ko Oo
General Secretary