statement of DPNS

Statement on the 9th anniversary 8.8.88 upheavel

	On this day, the historical upheavel started from 8th August 1988 has been
reached the 9th anniversary.  In other words, it is the 9th anniversary of
the people's struggle to liberate ourselves from one party tyranny.

	This upheavel could topple the three successive presidents of one party
tyranny.  Could cease and abolish the centralized planed economy.  Could
push our country on the path leading to the multi-party democracy.  We
hereby place record the glory and virtues of all fallen martyrs who
sacrificed their lives in this struggle.

	Though we achieved some fruitful results from this upheavel, we could not
have reached yet the final victory.  The military dictators are still
struggling for enhancing and strengthning their power, still oppressing and
persecuting all democratic institutions and ethnic forces, still waging the
inextinguishable civil war.  All of these proved we are still far away from
the final victory.

	Though the people could cease and abolish the centralized planned economy,
they could not enjoy the benefits from open market economy.  Only the SLORC
and its fistful of cohorts could enjoy the benefits of market economy.  The
people are still suffering from the hyperinflation of consumer prices,
forced labour, forced evacuation and all sorts of human rights violation.
It could be vividly seen
we are in the dire situation of general crisis in health, education and all
social sectors.  We are also facing the deprivation of national cultural
heritage and national pride and dignity.

	Throughout these nine years, oppression and persecution of military
dictatorship exacerbate the people sufferings.  The military dictators
ignore and stubbornly refuse the frequent requests and petitions of
democratic organizations and revolutionary forces to resolve the current
crisis through peaceful means.  Moreover they still ignore the pressure put
by United Nation and the family of nations.

	We firmly believe the historical task-to strive for releasing all political
prisoners including student leader Min Ko Naing, detained monks and
relieving the suffering of people from poverty- devolved upon us.  We
consistently and unswervingly believe final victory is ours in the struggle
of oppressors vs oppressed.  On this occasions of 9th anniversary 8.8.88
upheavel, we solemnly and determine to carry on our struggle until the final
victory by grasping the indispensable and essential unity among our forces
under the true guidance and revolutionary outlook.  All people unite for the
freedom of all.

Central Committee
Democratic Party for a New Society

Dated 8th August, 1997