KYO-USA Karen Martyrs' Day stateme

Subject: KYO-USA  Karen Martyrs' Day statement

OUR BELIEFS AND DETERMINATION
IN COMMEMORATION OF KAREN NATIONAL MARTYRS? DAY
AUGUST 12, 1997.

        To us, the ?independence? Burma gained in 1948 is but a domination
over all other nationalities in Burma by the Burman.  The taking up of arms
by almost all the nationalities against the ruling Burmese government is
sufficient proof that though Burma got its independence, only the Burman
have really enjoyed independence and they have subjected the other
nationalities.  The State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) headed
by Gen. Than Shwe will never and can never solve the crisis in the country.

        The Karen revolution is more than just a struggle for survival
against national oppression, subjugation, exploitation and domination of
the Karen people by the Burmese rulers.  It has the aim of a genuine union
comprised of all the states of the nationalities on the basis of equality
and self-determination.  In our march towards our objectives we shall
uphold the four principles laid down by our beloved leader, the late Saw Ba
U Gyi, which are:

1.  For  us surrender is out of the question.
2.  The recognition of the Karen State must be completed
3.  We shall retain our arms.
4.  We shall decide our own political destiny.

        Karen Youth Organization  ( Australia )
        Karen Youth Organization  ( Canada )
        Karen Youth Organization  ( France )
        Karen Youth Organization  ( India )
        Karen Youth Organization  ( Japan )
        Karen Youth Organization  ( Kaw Thoo Lei )
        Karen Youth Organization  ( United States Of America )