August 12th; Karen National Martyrs

Subject: August 12th; Karen National Martyrs' Day.

Note:  This poem about a young Karen fighter is written by Naw May Oo in
commemoration of the Karen National Martyrs? Day, August 12, 1997.

Why do I have to fight?
*************************

*They Killed my father a year ago,
  And they burnt my hut after that
  I asked the city men "why me?" they ignored
  "I don't know, mind your business," the men said.

*One day from elementary school I came home,
  Saw my sister was lifeless, lying in blood.
  I looked around to ask what happened, if
  Somebody'd known,
  Found no one but living room as a flood.

*Running away by myself on the village road,
  Not knowing where to go but heading for my teacher

*Realizing she's the only one who
 could help to clear my throat
 But this time she gave up,
 telling me strange things in fear.

*Why, teacher, why...why...why?
 I have no dad nor a sister left.
 To teach me and to care for me you said,
 was that a lie?
 This time with tearful eyes she, again, said...

*"Be a grown one, young man,
  Can't you see we all are dying?
  And stop this with your might as soon as you can,
  For we all are suffering."

By - Naw May Oo