Statement of NLD-LA (Youth)

The Statement Issued by National League for Democracy-Liberated Area (Youth)
on the occasion of 9th Anniversary of 8-8-88 Uprising.

Today marks the 9th anniversary of nationwide upheaval in Burma primarily
led by students and youth
protesting the removal of one party military dictatorship demanding
restoration for the genuine democracy.

In the attempt to protest the Burmese military dictatorship thousands of
demonstrators led by students and joined by Buddhist monks, as well as
citizenry whose general will was not only disregarded but were brutally
massacred by military regime resulting the loss of thousands of lives of our
own people.

Furthermore on September 18, 1988 the Burmese military transferred their
hold of power among themselves to stabilize people anger, anguish and agony
by forming State Law and Order restoration Council (SLORC). It was look upon
by the Burmese people as insult added to injury. To try to satisfy the
people's urge for multiparty election SLORC held general election on May 27,
1990, whereby NLD under the leadership of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi won the
landslide victory by the margin of 82 percent. However, SLORC did not keep
the pledge by refusing to hand-over the reins of government since then.

With the objective to solidify and reinforce their power over the entire
people the SLORC, behind the shield
of what it came to be known as "open market economic system" disposed of
Burma's natural resources to foreign opportunists and exploiters without any
taste of discrimination. Foreign exchange thus earned then and still being
used to import lethal weapons and other military logistics to continue
suppress our people. As for the entire nation the people have to face
soaring prices of goods, high prices of standard of living and high rate of
unemployment.

We, NLD-LA (Youth), strongly register our solemn protest to the ASEAN group
for unwittingly accepting the
SLORC as its one of the member-countries which surely will benefit SLORC to
continue to retain the power and continue suppressing our people at will.
The action of ASEAN is deemed by democratic forces around the world
as pouring water over the poisonous tree, which is SLORC.

NLD-LA (Youth) earnestly make the request to the United Nations and world
community to exert their pressure
over SLORC for it to hold tripartite parties, i.e. democratic forces led by
NLD, SLORC and ethnic groups.

Before the advent of genuine democracy in Burma we insist all concerned
countries to refrain from providing material and monetary support to SLORC
dictatorship. Coupled with our request to world community now we
devote our solemn attention to NLD party under the leadership of Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi, students, youth and democratic forces struggling against SLORC
and hand in hand with all of our countrymen to work for solid
unity and cohesion, cooperation and complete understanding among themselves.

Again, on this 9th anniversary of 8-8-88 Nationwide Uprising in honor and
memory of students, youth,
Buddhist monks and people - The Fallen Heroes - we NLD-LA (Youth) give our
somber pledge that we shall
lead no stone unturned in our struggle against and removal of SLORC by all
means.

Central Working Group
National League for Democracy-Liberated Area (Youth)
*              Orchestra Burma                 *
* http://www.freeburma.org/lokanat/obstart.htm *