Final call for joint statement of 8

Subject: Final call for joint statement of 8888

Dear all!!!!!

We have got many massages from various groups and there are different
ideas regarding demands. So we will put the same demands on joint
statement. We will send you almost final draft.

following is draft statement;

Today, 8 August 1997, is the 9th anniversary of the uprising in Burma.
detestable dictatorship began to take root in Burma on 2 March 1962
through
inappropriate military force and robbed the state power from
parliamentary
government.  Thus the Union of Burma fell under their totalitarian rule.

Four months later a coup was staged, and the butchers led by Gen. Ne Win

washed their boots with the blood of students from Rangoon University.

On the 8th of August 1988 there was an uprising against military rule in

Burma.  It was led by students, but people from all walks of life were
involved.  It came about from people's desire for democracy and
fundamental
rights such as freedom of speech, thought, presentation and
participation in
politics.  Many people have, on frequent occasions, confronted gunfire
ordered by the military leaders and sacrificed their lives for their
beliefs.

We strongly believe that the military must be ousted from power and
people
must strive to achieve a democratic society in Burma.  With the
cooperation
of the democratic forces and democracy lovers worldwide, we pledge on
this
memorable day of 8 August to struggle against the military dictatorship
and
totalitarianism.  We wish to do this in order to follow up our comrades'

sacrifices and fulfill our unswerving objective.

Furthermore, although the people in Burma still face oppression and are
denied basic human rights, ASEAN has welcomed the SLORC as one of their
members.  This support has served to legitimise their power.  ASEAN, in
upholding the dictatorship, must therefore take responsibility for
further
abuses and oppression of the Burmese people.

We warmly invite and welcome democracy lovers, whether individuals or
groups, whether they are nationals or foreign friends, to cooperate with

us
in restoring and perpetuating genuine peace and democracy in Burma.

We therefore make the following demands:
1.  That the SLORC recognize the legitimacy of the 1990 election and
hand
     over power to the election winners, the NLD led by Daw Aung San Suu

Kyi.
2.  That all political prisoners of conscience in Burma must be released

including student leader
     Min Ko Naing
3.  That the SLORC must accept the political dialogue proposed by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi.
4.  That ASEAN must abandon actions which permit the SLORC's oppression
of the
     Burmese people.
3.  That ASEAN must encourage the development of democratic government
in Burma.

We also urge the International community to;

1.  Pressurise the ASEAN not to fuel the SLORC killing machine
2.  Cooperate and participate with U.S led trade sanction against the
SLORC.
3. Take action against those international business corporations who are

dealing with the SLORC.

-All Burma Basic Education Students' Union
-All Burma Students' Democratic Organisation
-All Burma Students' League
-Burmese Student Association(Safe-Area)
-Burmese Youth Volunteer Association
-Democratic Burmese Student Organisation
-National League for Democracy (LA-Japan branch)
-Overseas National Student Organisation of Burma
-Students' Organisation for Liberation of Burma

Attention for "ALL DEMOCRATIC ORGANISATIONS"; If you would like to put
your organisations, please reply us as soon as possible.

Phone&Fax; (612) 96491302
E-mail; eyar@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Date; August 2,1997