PRESS RELEASE (r)

Press release
Date: August 12, 1997

ABSDF Central Committee Meeting Decides To Prioritize Political Work To
Restore Democracy and Human Rights

A recently completed ABSDF Central Committee meeting has resolved to alter
the organization's strategy to make non-violent political defiance tatics
and international lobbying the main weapons in our struggle to end the
brutal military dictatorship in Burma. The 40 student leaders from different
regions, who attened the meeting spent 10 days analyzing the effectiveness
of the tatics that have been used in the past, and discussing the most
appropriate course to follow in the future.

The ABSDF believes that Burma now faces an even more critical situation than
it did at the beginning of the civil war immediately after independence from
Bratain.

The SLORC's continued refusal to acknowledge the desires of the Burmese
people, and it's unwillingness to tackle to political problems, in
particular democratic, ethnic and human rights issues, in a just and
dignified way by political means, is the primary cause of the economic
crisis that the country now faces. Futhermore Burma's hopes of achieving
development, and peace in the future have been almost shattered by the
SLORC's complete failure to address the urgent need for investment in human
resources, and by their rampant depletion of our natural resources for the
purchase of arms.

The ABSDF believes that the only way out of the abyss lies in the hands of
the Burmese themselves. All of us must actively participate in the struggle,
and fight for the freedom and rights that we have been deprived of for over
three decadeds.

With the ever-increasing repression of political dissent, the worsening
economic situation in the country, and growing dissatisfaction among the
rank and file of the Burmese army, the ABSDF believes that in the
foreseeable future the people will be driven to a level at which they can
tolerate no more, and at which they will once again rise up against the
dictatorship as they did in 1988, and risk life and limb to demonstrate
their desperation.

After extensive consideration of these circumstances, the ABSDF has decided
to adapt our political strategy to give a greater focus to non-violent means
of struggle.

Central Committee
All Burma Students' Democratic Front

For more information please contact 01-923 1687, 01-654 4984