I don't understand. Explain to me i

Subject: I don't understand. Explain to me if you can.

 An upper echelon civil servant or military officer in Burma, I was told,
makes Kyats 2400 a month. If this is true, how can a general  afford to send
his child to a United States college or university on a $9.23 a month income
( the current rate of exchange being $1.00 = Kyats 260) ?
The second thing that bothers me is this: Generals have accused the United
States of being neocolonialists. Then why are they having their children
educated in a neocolonial power? Explain to me if you can, please!