ASEAN role in Mynamar urged

The Hindu (28/07/97)
By V. Jayanth

Subang Jaya (Malaysia), July 27: The Myanmar issue dominated the ASEANN
Regional forum proceedings today, but the participants had to agree to
disagree on the core issues of restoring democracy in the country. As the
chairman's statement, which is not a negotiated one, did not reflect the
views of many participants, a free-flowing debate ensued. Countries like
the US, Australia, Lixembourg(which represented the EU) and a couple of
others expressed their "strong dissatisfaction at he slow pace of progress
in Myanmar on constitutional reforms process."

The foreign minister of Myanmar, Mr Ohn Gyaw, focused on the proble,s in
speeding up the process. He referred to the ground realities and the need
to accommodate the wishes of the ethnic groups and communities in any
future power sharing arrangement. He could not specify a time span, but
assured his colleagues that a multi-party system of democracy would be
introduced in his country.

Ms Madeleine Albright, American Secretary of State, Mr Alexander Downer,
Austrilian Foreign Minister, and the Deputy Premier and Foreign Minister
of Luxembourg, Mr Jacques F. Poos, among others wanted ASEAN to use its
influence to ensure that human rights were not violated in Mynamr and a
meaningful dialogue was opened with Ms Aung San Suu Kyi to retstore
democracy in the country.

In separate briefings with the media, they expressed their "disspointment"
at the wording in the Chairman's statement and hoped the ASEAN could use
its policy of constructive engagement to bring about change.

In the statement, the chairman and Malaysian Foreign Minister, Mr Abdulah
Badawi, noted, "the ministers commended the increasingly close coopreaton
and mutual assistance by countries in South-East Asia in promoting a
prosperous and peaceful community of the nations, including ASEAN's
efforts at constructive engagement with Myanmar,. Hey welcomed the
positive role played by ASEAN in enhancing regional peace and stability.
The expansion of ASEAN membership contribute to those objectives."

At this wrap-up press conference, Mr Badawi said, "We have differnet views
and it is not easy to reach an agreement on such an issue. We agreed
something has to be done. Constructive engagement policy canhelp bring
about desired changes in Myanmar."

Asked if ASEAN would also engage with Ms Aung San Suu Kyi, Mr Abdullah
said such a suggestion was made at the meeting, "I canot go into details
of what ASEAN will do. But now that Myanmar is a member and knows what is
expected of it, there may not be any difficulty in carrying out some
measures to influence cahnges in Mynamar. But I cannot be specific about
what we will do," the chiarman explained.

On the nuclear isue, he said the Indian position was put across clearly
and it was agreed that nuclear weapon-free zones could be created in
phases towards total disarmament. ASEAN would press ahead with on-gioing
discussions with the five nuclear powers to get them to endorse a protocol
attached to the South-East Asian Nuclear Weapons Free Zone Treaty.

He said the Korean peninsula peace programme was discussed in detailed and
the US Secretary of the State wanted ASEAN to participate in the KEDO,
with a contribution of about $10 millions. "We have to discuss how we can
do it and whether it should be from ASEAN or by the individual member
countries," ha added. The meting welcomed the proposed fur-party talks and
hoped it could lead to "permanent peace in the peninsula."

Though the ARF decided to move forward from its present phase of
confidance building to the next stage of "preventive diplomacy," there was
reportedly some resistance from china in particular.

Mr Abdullah explained that on issues like the dispute in South China Sea
over the Spratly islands, the on-going confidence building measures like
workshops and biletral talks would continue. Members would work out areas
in which preventive diplomacy could be used.

Singapore's Foreign Minister, Prof. S. Jayakumar, suggested a summit of
leaders of the ARF member countries. But the meeting could not agree on
when to hold such a summit. "We have to first see that the process moves
forward and all are comfortable with it. Then we can think of it." The
Malaysian minister explained.

Over dinner on Saturday, the foreign Ministers dealt with Cambodia. The
bulk of this morning's session wes devoted to Myanmar, while the afternoon
wrapped up the rest of the issues.