Myanmar Monitor (25-7-96)

                       *******************************

THE PURPOSE OF THIS PUBLICATION IS TO PROVIDE
A BROAD AND BALANCED VIEW OF THE UNION OF MYANMAR

MYANAMR JOINS ASEAN

	The Union of Myanmar joined neighboring Laos as the newest members of  The
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) this week at ceremonies in
Kuala Lumpur bringing ASEAN'S combined population to more than 480 million
and its total gross domestic product to more than US $632 billion .

	Cambodia, currently an ASEAN observer, was not admitted to ASEAN in this
round of expansion. Rather, ASEAN decided to postpone Phnon Penh's entry
because of  recent political unrest. A joint communique will express ASEAN's
regret that Cambodia's entry has been postponed , yet will also suggest that
the troubled country will eventually accede to membership. The new ASEAN logo
includes 10 rice stalks - up from six - indicating that it believes that
Cambodia will become a member in the near future.

Members Backed Myanmar's Inclusion Despite International Protests

		The United States, Japan and the European Union have expressed concern over
Myanmar's admission to ASEAN, but other ASEAN member nations unanimously
defended the admission even in the face of investment sanctions imposed on
Myanmar by the U.S earlier this year. ASEAN members have stated strongly and
reiterated their intentions in Kuala Lumpur-- that they intend to engage
Myanmar to assist with economic, political and social development. Myanmar's
government has not objected to the announced plans, and in fact, signed the
ASEAN joint communique, which stated ASEAN will work to ? heighten
collaboration with Laos and Myanmar to facilitate the integration of both
countries into the mainstream of ASEAN activities.?

		To become a full ASEAN member , a country must accede to the Treaty of
Amity and Cooperation signed in 1976, and meet established trade and
liberalization requirements. Myanmar and Laos will participate immediately in
11 major ASEAN agreements, including the ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA), which
liberalizes trade and investments among members by the turn of the century .

		Myanmar and Laos are expected to extend most-favored nation trade status to
all other ASEAN members and to assure transparency in their trade laws and
regulations.

Early Support for Myanmar on Currency Fluctuation
Indicative of ASEAN's Determination to Remain Unified

		Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad lost no time extending ASEAN
support to Myanmar, indirectly accusing financier George Soros of
orchestrating  recent currency fluctuations there as part of his opposition
to Myanmar's government. Mr. Soros' spokesperson denied the veiled charge .

		Other currencies--those of Thailand , Malaysia , and the Philippines also
recently fluctuated dramatically. Thai media reports have also implicated Mr.
Soros, referring to his successful 1992 efforts to force the British Pound
out of the European Monetary System.

		Established 30 years ago , ASEAN includes Brunei, Indonesia, Laos,
 Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

MYANMAR GOVERNMENT, OPPOSITION MEET

		Lt.General Khin Nyunt of Myanmar's State Law and Order Restoration Council
met last week with U Aung Shwe, chairman of the opposition party, National
League for Democracy and discussed current and future political and economic
developments, government sources reported.

MYANMAR FACTS

* The government of Myanmar has initiated 81 dam projects since 1990 . The
projects have an impact on more than 1.3 million acres of agricultural land,
providing irrigation and flood control.

*Myanmar Sugarcane Enterprises, a company managed by Myama Ministry of
Agriculture and Irrigation, signed a joint venture with Thailand's Sutech
Engineering Co. Ltd. to build a 2,000-ton sugar mill in Pyay, Myanmar.The
project will be located on the Ayeyarwady River midway between Yangon and
Mandalay.

* Tourism is a growing industry in Myanmar. Direct employment in the
country's hotel industry stood at just under 4000 in1988. By the end of 1997,
there will be 33,318 jobs in Myanmar's hotels  and resorts, according to
government estimates.

* Farm produce in Myanmar constituted 35 percent of all exports in the fiscal
year 1996- 1997. Myanmar exports a variety of produce, including beans,corn,
cotton,sugar cane, rubber, and jute.

NOTABLE QUOTES

?--- Myanmar's membership in ASEAN is a significant moment. Progress and
stability start at the  national level. With our own house in order, we will
begin to contribute toward order in the community we live in . We will live
up to our ASEAN responsibilities and obligations.--? Myanmar Foreign Minister
Ohn Gyaw

?---Burma may be inside ASEAN, but it will remain outside the Southeast Asia
mainstream. By admitting Burma as a member, ASEAN assumes a greater
responsibility--- Burma's problems now become ASEAN's problems.--- And the
goal of democratic change and respect for human rights in Burma becomes not
only a national, but a
regional and global imperative. ?-- U.S Secretary of State Madeleine Albright

" Currently, only two nations, Myanmar and Cuba, receive the brunt of
Washington's wrath, solely on the grounds of  their human rights records, and
the latter is more the resutl of an ideological hangover and decades-long
campaign against Cuban leader Fidel Castro. So why has Washington singled out
Myanmar for wide-ranging sanctions?
---Because we can, ? admits one State Department official. ? Nigeria and
China are big, powerful and important, and Myanmar is none of those
three.---? US News & World Report, June 27,

?--- Eight of the most powerful nations have decided that they , and they
alone, should determine the fate of every country--- When they agree on
anything-- as for example the revaluation of the yen-- we have to pay the
price. And, when they quarrel, we will be trampled---Alone, none of the
Southeast Asian countries will be able to protect itself--- But nine ASEAN
countries with a half a billion people may be able to do something to help
oureslves---? Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.

?--- For thg past 11 years we have experimented with the policy of certifying
foreign countries as cooperating or failing to cooperate with our efforts
against international narcotics trafficking. That is a fair test for any
policy. And, it appears to me that the certification policy simply isn't
working.Many countries we have decertified--Burma, for example, or
Afaghanistan-- now produce more narcotics than they did before. It is clear
that our decertification did nothing to stop them and their mafia
organizations from producing narcotics.---? US Senator Max Baucus (D-MT)