Statement by Thai FM

	Statement By H.E. Mr. Prachuab Chaiyasan
	Minister of Foreign Affairs of Thailand

Your Excellency Dato' Sri Abdullah Badawi,
Your Royal Highnesess, Excellencies,
Your Excellency Somsavat Lengsavad,
Your Excellency Ohn Gyaw,

This august ceremony today shall be registered as a milestone in ASEAN
history as the Lao People's Democratic Republic and the Union of Myanmar
become members of the Association.

On behalf of the people and the Government of Thailand, Iwish to take this
opportunity to join my other ASEAN colleagues in expressing our sincere
congratulations to Your Excellencies and through Your Excellencies to the
Lao and Myanmar peoples on the occasion of office admission of the Lao
People's Democratic Republic and the Union of Myanmar into ASEAN.
Thailand, as an ASEAN member and immediate neighbour who shares close
cultural ties as well as long-standing relations, will continue to render
assistance to Laos and Myanmar respectively in adjusting to the ASEAN.

This year marks the Thirtieth Anniversary of the Association which has been
well recognized by members of the national community for its success and
dynamism ASEAN solidarity, cooperation and expansion of activities coupled
with the intensified links between ASEAN and friendly countries as well as
other organization have resulted in peace, security and sustainable
development of the region.

In becoming ASEAN members, Laos and Myanmar are now eligible to
participate in all ASEAN activities , entitled to the same privileges and
assume
the same responsibilities as all other members in our task to build a more
peaceful, stable and prosperous Southeast Asia.

It is also our pleasure to note that contributions of 'Laos and Myanmar
will be
valuable impetus for ASEAN in its endeavour to develop further our
cooperation in all fields and we look forward to their active
participation at the
forthcoming Commemorative informal Summit at the end of this year.

Thank you

(Thai Foreign Minister)

	News and Information Dept.
	All Burma Students' Democratic Organisation (ABSDO) [Australia]
	Tel/Fax: 61+03+9813 2613