Albright Backs Burma Boycotts

   Burma now ASEAN's problem: Albright

   LOS ANGELES, July 23 (AFP) - Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
frowned Wednesday on Burma's admission to the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (ASEAN), saying ASEAN now shares its problems.
   In prepared remarks to the Pacific Council and Los Angeles World Affairs
Council, Albright -- on her way to meet ASEAN foreign ministers in the
Malaysian capital -- also vowed to press for democracy in Cambodia.
   "By admitting Burma as a member, ASEAN assumes a greater responsibility,
for Burma's problems now become ASEAN's problems. And the goal of democratic
change and respect for human rights in Burma becomes not only a national but
a regional and global imperative," she said.
   Burmese authorities "are among the most repressive and intrusive on
earth," she said. "It is only right that Burma is subject to international
sanctions and consumer boycotts."
   A coup 2-1/2 weeks ago by Cambodia's second prime minister cast a pall
over what was meant to be a celebration in Kuala Lumpur of ASEAN's 30th
anniversary and delayed Phnom Penh's entry into the regional grouping.
   But ASEAN went ahead Wednesday and admitted Burma and Laos. Washington
has made no secret of its wish to isolate Burma's military rulers, who came
to power in 1988 after crushing nationwide protests.
   In meeting foreign ministers from ASEAN countries and China, Albright
said she would try to keep up world pressure on Cambodian strongman Hun Sen
to respect 1991 peace accords that ended Cambodia's 13-year civil war.
   "There in recent weeks democracy has taken a giant step backwards," she
said.
   avz-sjh/pfm

Sarah Jackson-Han
Asian Affairs Correspondent