Informarion Sheet A- 0063(I/L)

Informarion Sheet

	A- 0063(I/L)						                     17-7 - 97

Statements and Comments from various national groups which have
returned back into the legal fold.

		Since 1988 September when the State Law and Order Restoration Council
assumed the state power.This government has successfully managed to have
peace agreements with (15) armed ethnic groups. It is the first time in her
modern history that almost 95 % of all the insurgency have come to a stop.
Unfortunately a small group of ethnic insurgents which have based their view
on narrow racism still refuses to come to join the other national brethrens
to participate in the
rebuilding of a new nation. More unfortunately, this organization which calls
itself the Kayin National Union (KNU) has now openly resorted to terrorist
activities with the financial support, material assistance and terrorist
training from western
countries.
		After the Secretary One's clarification on 27th. June 1997 on
? The acts of terrorism presented by illegal expatriate anti-government
organizations ? and also on ? How some western power have been aiding and
abetting terrorism committed by certain organizations operating under the
guise of Democracy and Human Rights by giving them assistance in both cash
and kind ?. All the armed groups which have come into the legal fold and are
currently participating in the nation building activities as well as the
strengthening of national unity have expressed their views and comments on
Mrs.Aris'(Daw Su Kyi's political activities as such : -

1.	New Democratic Army - Kachin ( Kachin State Special Region -1 )
	? We fully appreciate Secretary One's clarification. Terrorist activities
are being systematically carried out with the support and assistance of
western countries which is of great danger to us. Daw Su Kyi has been
exploited by the western countries including the United States and she has
put herself in a situation where she has got herself trapped. The mass should
be properly informed about the current situation and it is important for the
mass to participate in safeguarding the nation .?

2.	Kachin Independence Organization ( Kachin State Special Region -2 )
	? Secretary One's clarification is very effective. Daw Su Kyi made a great
mistake relying on outside countries. We immediately left Methawatta once we
realized it was a wrong movement and we will never again get ourselves
involved in such  activities in the future.?

3.	Myanmar National Democracy Alliance ( Northern Shan State Special Region
-1 , Lauk-Kai )
	? The governments of U.S, Australia and Thailand should cooperate and find
ways to arrest these terrorists. The explosives can be smuggled in from
 Indian borders just as it did from Thai border. The people have gradually
come to realize the government's sincere intention and activities which make
instigation among the people and workers difficult. The people will
definitely inform the government to prevent terrorist activities from taking
place due to their understanding of the government's sincerity.?

4.	Myanmar National Democracy Alliance. Mong-Ko Defence Army
( Northern Shan State Special Region -1, Mong-Ko )
	? It shocked us to learn that May 26 was targeted for creating disturbances.
The situation would be frightening if the explosives and  other related
objects were not seized. Daw Su Kyi should be punished severely like they do
in China for her activities to disrupt the development of the economy,
religion and social sector. ?

5.	Myanmar National Solidarity Party ( Wa ) ( Northern Shan State Special
Region -2 )
	? We agree and support Secretary One's activities and guidelines. The
political events taking place can be more appreciated after following
Secretary One's clarification. We commend the government for being able to
expose the involvement and interference of Western Nations in Myanmar's
internal affairs. The NLD once came to us to win us over. We told them we are
not interested in their party politics and that we are only interested in the
development of economy and this present military government has improved our
living conditions and raised our living standards. We support this
government. ?

6.	Shan State Army ( Northern Shan State Special Region -3 )
	? There are a lot of instances and evidence of outside countries blatantly
interfering in our internal affairs. We came back into the legal fold because
we place our trust and confidence in this present government. We do not trust
the NLD which is causing the destruction of our country and more over we know
the NLD can never keep the country united and stable as it is now even when
it is given the role to do so. ?

7.	Kachin Defence Army  ( Northern Shan State Special Region -5 )
	? We have our areas much developed and upgraded since we had peace agreement
with the government. Because of the mutual understanding, confidence and
respect we have with the government. No political party can drive a wedge in
between us. We are much concerned about the peace agreements being shattered
if civil unrest take place and if this government is replaced by another
group. ?

8.	Pa-O National Organization  ( Southern Shan State Special Region -6 )
	? According to the government's clarification it is obvious that our nation
is in grave danger. We fully support the government and time has now come for
all our national brethrens to unitedly repel the interference coming from
inside the country and outside as well. ?

9.	Palaung State Libration Party (Northern Shan State Special Region -7)
	? There is no denying of Daw Su Kyi's and NLD's acceptance of assistance and
support from abroad. There are a lot of evidence which can not be refuted
 and it is also a fact that the NLD is striving to gain the state power.This
press conference is not only a success for the government but also a major
political achievement and the NLD should be taken action severely to the
extent that the party itself should be de-registered. The country made
significant changes and developments since the military government took over
the state power. It is very obvious that the U.S does not want Myanmar and
China to have cordial relationship and it is trying to harm this friendship.
Daw Su Kyi is a puppet dancing to the tune of the western
countries. If she comes into power our national unity will be destroyed and
we do not support her at all.?

10.	Shan State National People's Liberation Organization ( Pa-O )
	? CIA could create misunderstanding and distrust among our national
brethrens. We should safeguard our national unity very carefully. ?

11.	National Democracy Alliance Army, Military Local Administration
Committee ( Shan/Akha ) ( Eastern Shan State Special Region-4 )
	? We denounce foreign interference in Myanmar's affairs and do not accept
their involvement. We fully support Secretary One's clarification  held on
the 27th. of June.?

12.	Kayinni National People's Liberation Front (Kayah State Special
Region -2 )
	? NLD will exploit the situation whenever an opportunity arises. We will
join hands with the government to get rid of the destructionists.?

13.	New Mon State Party
	? Secretary One's clarification of 27th. June serves as a reminder to us.
Foreign organizations and the Kayin National Union's (KNU's) infiltration
into our party is a possibility which we have to be very careful and more
united. The statement issued during the Methawatta Declaration is something
which is harmful to the national unity and can not be accepted by any
national  group.There is nothing to object in Secretary One's clarification.
?

14.	Kayinni National People's Liberation Front ( Kayah State Special
Region-2)
	? We see Daw Su Kyi as a person who is taking financial assistance from the
Western Bloc and is being manipulated by them. Kayin National Union (KNU) and
Kayinni National Progressive Party (KNPP) are also being supported by CIA and
these groups are traitors to the nation. KNPLF shall under the guidance of
the government, resist all external interference and influences.?

15.	Kayan New Land Party  ( Kayah State Special Region-3 )
	Daw Su Kyi most probably has received far more financial assistance from the
western countries than what is being exposed now. She is acting according to
the instructions from the West. We do not accept the western interference.
The Kayin National Union (KNU) and Kayinni National Progressive Party (KNPP)
are under the influence of the western countries and CIA. These (2) groups
are also given support from the West. ?