statement By NLD(LA)AUSTRALIA on SL

Subject: statement By NLD(LA)AUSTRALIA on SLORC'S press briefing  (27/6/97)

Our Statement on Press Briefing of SLORC held on 27/6/97.

It has been known that General Khin Nyunt, Secretary (1) and Military
Intelligence Chief, held a
special press briefing on 27.6.97.  The following is our statement
regarding that press
briefing.

Natinal League for Democracy led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi strives for
democracy and human rights in Burma by peaceful means and Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi always denounce the violent methods and terrorism.  She sticks to
non-violent policy for getting a peaceful solution for the long standing
national conflicts.  Accusations made by General Khin Nyunt on Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi, NLD, NCGUB, and NLD(LA)JAPAN Branch are totally nonsense and of no
logical grounds.  We strongly support the leadership of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and stand by NCGUB and NLD(LA)JAPAN Branch that have no connection with
the parcel bomb blast at General Tin Oo's residence.  The fact that the
military intelligence of Burma is notorious with their bad records of false
fabrications is very well-known to the world.  It is crystal clear that the
recent bomb blasts in Rangoon were the acts of the military intelligence
and the results of the power struggle within their military structure.
Accusations on NLD and overseas prodemocracy groups and the United States
of America are purely efforts of the military government just to justify
their heavy-handed treatment on opposition groups and democracy loving people.

We strongly condemn the military government for their false and shameful
accusations and would like to urge the generals to behold the truth and pay
respect to the ardent will of people to restore democracy and human rights
in Burma.

National League for Democracy (Liberated Area) Australia