Statement by BYVA-Japan (r)

ON THE STATE-CONTROLLED PRESS, THE NATIONAL CONVENTION AND AUNG SAN SUU
KYI

Statement by Burma Youth Volunteer Association (Japan)

June 25, 1997

We have read, with disgust, the recent commentaries in Burma's
state-controlled press regarding Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the national
convention.  Leaving aside the issue of whether or not she and the
National League for Democracy wish to rejoin the national convention, we
simply cannot remain silent while the losers in the 1990 national
elections heap abuse on our chosen national leader.  When they insult
her, they insult us.

As proponents of free speech, we acknowledge that everyone, regardless
of their intelligence or demonstrated lack thereof, has a right to his
or her opinion.  However, with this right come certain responsibilities
-- responsibilities which SLORC is apparently too weak to shoulder.
These include:

COURAGE.  When Daw Aung San Suu Kyi speaks, she does so in her own
voice, showing her own face, using her own name.  SLORC operatives, on
the other hand, are terrified of using real names, either their own or
hers.  A courageous and honest writer does not need to hide behind a
pseudonym.

FAIRNESS.  The power of free speech is that it creates a marketplace of
ideas from which society can separate truth from lies.  If SLORC has
confidence that their ideas and opinions can withstand challenge, it
should allow dissenting opinions in its newspapers, or at least restore
Daw Suu's phone line so that she could speak for herself.

TRUTH.  Writers confident of their views can speak the truth without
fear.  SLORC, however, relies on irrelevant facts, inflammatory insults
and outright lies to make its point.  SLORC proves the saying from
ancient Greek that "in war, truth is the first casualty."

Case in point:  The writer of the recent commentaries claimed that the
national convention is not "a licenseless bootleg liquor shop."
Actually, it is:  SLORC, having lost the 1990 elections, has no
"license" (as in legal right) to convene the convention, making it a
"bootleg" (that is, illegal) gathering.  (Never mind that "opium den"
would be a more appropriate metaphor than "liquor shop".)  The only way
to legitimize the national convention is by allowing Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and the National League for Democracy to take a leading role in
deciding the future of Burma, a responsibility that the voters of Burma
have entrusted to them, and them alone.

#   #   #

Information Committee
Burma Youth Volunteer Association ( Japan )