Burmese Poets in Jail

Dear Friends,

We  received  the  following information  of  Burmese poets
being  arrested by  the SLORC  recently.  We  would like to
request  you either to confirm or  to add specific facts if
you have.

In Solidarity,

All Burma Students League

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

News of Burmese Poets being arrested

1.   Burma's famous Poets U  Kyi Aung from Innwa,  Mandalay
Division  and Poet Ko Lay (Innwa  Goan Ye) were arrested by
the  SLORC recently  in Innwa  Township and  being detained
without  any trial.  Their crime was that they interviewed,
without permission from the concerned authorities, with some
people   from  Innwa  Market   (Innwa  Township,   Mandalay
Division)  to expose  the life of  ordinary Burmese people.

2.   Phyar Poan  Ni Lon  Oo (who  was working  as Assistant
Editor  in the popular Cherry Magazine) was ousted from the
job because of his political activities for the NLD.  He is
under trial.

3.   New Style-Poet Aung Zin  Min is imprisoned recently by
the SLORC for his anti-SLORC writings.

The   military  authorities,  in  the  past,  censored  any
anti-SLORC  writings either by covering with ink or tearing
the whole page. However, due to the international criticism
for these undemocratic acts,  the Censor Board of SLORC now
force  the  publisher to  re-publish  the book  or magazine
without  the  particular literature  that the  Board thinks
should  not be read by the public.  Although the authors of
the   particular  literature  are  given  money  for  their
writings  by the publishing houses,  their writings are not
published.  Due to various restrictions of the authorities,
many publishing houses in Burma are being closed down.  One
of  them is Cherry Magazine which is one of Burma's popular
magazine.

News and Information Bureau
All Burma Students League

************************( End )****************************