Panel to look into Burma's allegati

Subject: Panel to look into Burma's allegations

June 13, 1997

BANGKOK POST

BURMA

Panel to look into Burma's allegations

The sub-committee on foreign affairs will look into Burmese allegations that
the Thai army chief had given his consent to Burma's dredging of the Moei
River opposite Mae Sot district of Tak.

Its chairman, M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, said yesterday his panel would ask
Gen Chettha Thanajaro to explain Burmese claims that he had allowed Burmese
authorities to dredge the Moei opposite Ban Rim Moei to change its course back
to what it was originally.

Gen Chettha has already denied Burma's Southern Command chief Maj-Gen Khet
Sein's claim that the dredging was carried out with the Thai army chief's
consent in exchange for opening of the Thai-Burmese friendship bridge.

"I think we (Thai authorities) were too submissive in letting Burma dredge the
river near the Thai boundary. The committee needs details about this matter.
We will invite Gen Chettha to give an explanation to us in person, or we will
meet him at army headquarters," M.R. Sukhumbhand said.

But he added the government made the right decision in trying to solve border
problems through negotiation.

Boundary problems were common to all Southeast Asian countries because they
held different copies of aerial maps, he said.

The government should focus on improving cultural and people-to-people
relations between Thailand and Burma and show other countries that Thailand
was promoting democracy and people's freedom, the Democrat MP added.