PARAQUAT, herbicide or genocide

The Burma Bureau Germany has sent letters of appeal to the responsible ministers
of
environment and standing committees of the national parliament of the countries
such
as England and Denmark ( currently main suppliers of Paraquat to Burmese
military).
The Bureau also intended to send more letters of appeal to the members of the EU

and other potential countries.

The following is the main text of the letter of appeal already sent out:

PARAQUAT, a lethal herbicide or a fatal genocide ?

We are very much concerned about the reliable reports that a significant volume
of
extremely lethal herbicide commercially known as " PARAQUAT" is to be sold or
supplied to the SLORC military dictators of Burma very soon.

It is well-known that this PARAQUAT is one of the most toxic and lethal
herbicide types
on the earth (please see appendix). It is even more well-known that SLORC is the
most
dangerous and brutal military dictator in the world. On one hand, the PARAQUAT
can be
used as an innocent herbicide or pesticide (if properly handled). But on the
other hand,
it can also be misused as a hazardous homicide or genocide, depending on what
kind
of persons are using / misusing it. We do have reliable reports that SLORC used
and
uses poisonous chemicals extensively in warfare against its own ethnic
nationalities.

It is therefore our serious concern in appealing to you to please do in your
full capacity
and all in your power in order to at least hinder or stop immediately the sale
or supply
of such poisonous chemicals to the Burmese military dictators, who do not
hesitate
in committing bloodshed. Even if the PARAQUAT is to be used as a typical
herbicide or
pesticide by the farmers, we are quite certain that they are not adequately and
properly
educated or taught in handling such fatal chemicals.

We are very much grateful and looking forward to your immediate and effective
response
in the interest of the suffering peoples of Burma.

Sincerely and best regards,

signed: Nwe Aung
Dipl.-Chemiker
Burma Bureau Germany

Appendix to the letter:

Important facts on PARAQUAT

Chemical Name:         Dimethyl-bipyridinium-dichloride
                                        (1,1'-Dimethyl-4,4'-bipyridinium-dichlori
de)
Properties:                  - light-yellow, odourless materal (crystals)
                                      - very soluble in water
                                      - extremely poisonous
                                         (Maximum Working Concentration, MWC:
0.1 mg/cubic-meer.)
                                         (for comparison, MWC of cyanides: 5 -
11 mg/cubic-meter)
                                      - attacks eyes, skin  and internal organs
                                      - causes suffocation and unconsciousness
to death
                                      - damages brain, adrenals, livers,
kidneys, lungs
                                         gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts