No Subject Given

NATIONAL COUNCIL OF THE UNION OF BURMA
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDIUM

NCUB PRAISES IMPOSITION OF SANCTIONS ON RANGOON REGIME

 	"Today marks an important day in the struggle for democracy in Burma. I welcome US President Bill Clinton's announcement that economic sanctions have been imposed on the illegal military regime in Rangoon. The President's action comes in direct response
 to calls from Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and the democracy and ethnic forces that are struggling to free Burma from the military dictatorship.

	 I especially want to thank the U.S. Congress for their role in passing  the sanctions bill that allowed this to happen.  Senator Mitch  McConnell and his colleagues , Senator Patrick Moynihan, and Congresswoman Nancy Peloci and John Porter deserve speic
al praise for standing up for freedom and democracy in Burma.

	The imposition of economic sanctions further illigitimizes the Burmese regime.  I call on UNOCAL and Texaco to immediately withdraw from Burma and stop funding the persecution of the Burmese and ethnic groups.   In addition, I call on the European countr
ies and ASEAN to  follow in the footsteps of the Americans and bar investment until the  democratically elected government of 1990 can be seated.

	 I urge the military regime to immediately begin a political dialogue   with Daw Suu and the NLD.  The democracy movement in Burma is stronger than ever.  Through non-violent political struggle, we will continue fighting the regime until freedom, democra
cy and human rights are restored in Burma.

					     Tin Maung Win
					Member of the Presidium
				National Council of the Union of Burma
						April  23, 1997