STATE DEPARTMENT BRIEFING ON BURMA

Subject: STATE DEPARTMENT BRIEFING  ON BURMA/ASEAN ....QUESTIONS & ANSWERS BETWEEN REPORTER & DINGER

State Department Briefing  2/6/97

Questions & Answers on Burma/ASEAN

Q: Do you have any reaction to the decision by ASEAN to admit Burma as
a member?

DINGER: Our concerns about the State Law and Order Council's policies
are very well known. It has violated the rights of its own citizens.
It has taken actions that undermine stability in the region by
producing refugee flows and allowing Burma to remain a major source of
narcotics.

We know that ASEAN shares those concerns and, like the United States,
wants to see them addressed. Of course, we acknowledge that decisions
about ASEAN's membership are for ASEAN member nations to make. We,
nonetheless, regret that ASEAN appears to have invited Burma to join
its organization at this time.

At the same time, we now look to ASEAN to use its good offices to urge
the SLORC to seriously address our mutual concerns, and urge the SLORC
to enter into a productive dialogue with democratic forces in Burma,
to cease its actions that damage stability the region. That's it?