Protest against ASEAN (r)

OUR DECLARATION

Wholehearted Condemnation of the ASEAN  constructive
engagement policy with SLORC

1. The Constructive Engagement Policy, adopted by the ASEAN countries
towards the illgitimate Burmese Military junta. (SLORC) for the last
nine  years, has impeded the advancement of Democracy in Burma.

2. The first step of the restoration of democracy is to respect the
Burmese people's will that was overwhelmingly displayed in the 1990
election.

3. The people of Burma have elected the National League for Democracy
and their democratic leader Daw Aung San Su Kyi to write the
constitution that will ensure the human right and basic freedom for the
people of Burma.

4. The Burmese people's wish and desire are being flouted outrageously
by the acceptance of SLORC as a member of  ASEAN.

5. Therefore, we condemn ASEAN for their insensitivity to the true
feeling of the Burmese people and we demand that:

	1. The Constructive Engagement Policy must be immediately
abandoned.
	2. The result of the 1990 election must be honoured.
	3. All  trade investment with the SLORC must be withdrawn
	    immediately.

All Burma Students' Democratic Organisation(ABSDO)
All Burma Students' Democratic Front (ABSDF)
All Burma Students' League (ABSL)
Austuralia Burma Council (ABC)
National League For Democracy (LA)
Committee for Restoration Democracy in Burma (CRDB)
Australia Karen Organisation (AKO)
Karen Youth Organisation  (KYO)R