BurmaDoc entries 30 May to 3 June 1 (r)

Subject: Re: BurmaDoc entries 30 May to 3 June 1997

To Burma Issues.

Dear Friends,

In your 30 May to 3 June BurmaDoc citation (see below) of my article, you
misquoted me on two
important points:

1) I said that ASEAN is interested in linking up with INDIA (you said
Indonesia!), and that Burma is the bridge. This is an extremely important
element of what's going on in the region, and you destroyed the argument.

2) You say at the end "this is a false assumption"  I never said that. What
is the assumption -- that SLORC will claim...?  Or that joining ASEAN will
give them legitimacy? Presumably people will understand the 2nd, but the
word "assumption" weakens the whole thrust. Who's making the assumptions?
I'm certainly not. The international community is not. SLORC knows it's
illegitimate -- that's why they do all these circus things.

I put a lot of care into my writing, and do not appreciate its being
scrambled. Please be tighter. If you do the same thing for other people's
articles, and they spot it, the whole exercise will lose credibility. I know
you have little time etc. but it's better to be accurate, even if you have
to cover less ground.

David Arnott

>If Asean admits Burma, it's for long-term strategic reasons related to
>Asean's interest in keeping China at bay and linking up with Indonesia.
>The decision has little to do with economics or with giving Slorc
>legitimacy.  Asean companies can freely invest in Burma and a government's
>legitimacy comes from the people.  The UNDHR says "The will of the people
>shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be
>expressed in periodic and genuine elections..."  The Slorc will claim
>Asean gives them legitimacy, but this is a false assumption.  burmanet
>970530  OL/9CAA/009

Internet ProLink PC User