PRESS RELEASE (r)

ALTSEAN-BURMA
A L T E R N A T I V E     A S E A N    N E T W O R K    O N     B U R M A
tel: 66 2 275 1811,  66 2 693 4515            fax: 66 2 693 4515
<altsean@xxxxxxxxxx>
c/o FORUM-ASIA  109 SUTHISARNWINICHAI RD  SAMSENNOK   HUAYKWANG   BANGKOK
10320   THAILAND

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MEDIA STATEMENT:

ALTSEAN - BURMA RESPONSE TO SLORC ARREST IN CONNECTION TO ASEAN VIDEO

Bangkok: The Alternative ASEAN Network on Burma (ALTSEAN-BURMA) today
condemned the Slorc regime for using Aung San Suu Kyi's message to Asean as
an excuse to arrest five of her close associates.  ALTSEAN-BURMA produced
the 5-minute video message from Aung San Suu Kyi to Asean leaders. The
video, which was released on May 28, days before the Asean Foreign Ministers
Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, is also the last available footage of the democracy
leader.

ALTSEAN-BURMA coordinator Debbie Stothard said: "When we organised the
production of the video, we preferred not to ask for details of the people
involved. However, we are sure that those arrested did not smuggle the video
abroad. "

"It is distressing that the Slorc used this video as an excuse to harass the
democratically-elected government of Burma."

"The arrests are further proof that formal acceptance of the Slorc into
Asean will lead to greater repression and harassment of NLD, Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi and the peoples of Burma."

"We are deeply concerned about the safety and well-being of the people
arrested and we call for their immediate and unconditional release."

"We also call for the immediate cessation of harassment and attacks on
people engaging in peaceful and legitimate activities in Burma."

"We condemn these arrests and interpret them as cowardly acts by a regime
which should be engaged in tripartite dialogue with the democracy movement
led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the ethnic nationalities", said Stothard.

International news agencies today reported that Slorc arrested Ms. Suu Kyi's
relatives and personal photographer for allegedly smuggling a videotaped
message by the Nobel Laureate opposing Slorc's admission to Asean.

Those reportedly arrested are Cho Aung Thau, a cousin of Ms. Suu Kyi, his
sister and her husband as well as photographer Ko Sunny and U Hon Myint.

Transcripts of the video in question are available upon request from: tel:
+66 2 275 1811, fax 662 693 4515 and email: altsean@xxxxxxxxxx					-ENDS-