JUNTA DETAINS 250 SUPPORTERS OF SUU

Subject:       JUNTA DETAINS 250 SUPPORTERS OF SUU KYI

JUNTA DETAINS 250 SUPPORTERS OF SUU KYI

Bangkok,  25: Burma' ruling junta has detained at least 250
supporters  of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and is
pushing  ahead with its  latest crackdown on  her party,  a
senior  party official said on Sunday.  The National League
for  Democracy had documented names  and details of 193 NLD
supporters  who  have  been  detained,  but,  said  reports
filtering  in form the provinces indicate more than 250 had
been rounded up , he said.

"(Once  the detentions have all been documented) I think it
will  come up to more than 250",  he said by telephone from
Rangoon. "we have learned that many more are being detained
in  the province," he  added.  "I think  the detentions are
still  going  on.   We are  going  to see  this  evening or
tomorrow   (Monday)  whether   they  will   make  any  sort
oppression  on  our  Rangoon  members,'the  official,   who
detained to be identified said.

The  military  government began  rounding up  NLD activists
last  week ahead  of a planned  party congress  to make the
seventh anniversary of abortive elections which Ms Aung San
Suu  Kyi and her party won,   the NLD has said.  The ruling
State  Law  And  Order  Restoration  Council,  however,  on
Saturday denied any arrests or persecution of members,  but
it distinguishes between arrests and detentions.

An  official said on Saturday  local authorities had simply
asked  the NLD  supporters "to  refrain from  taking action
designed to create chaos in the country. A statement issued
by  the SLORC's embassy in  Bangkok also note however every
government  "  sometimes detains  individuals  who threaten
action  to create chaos and social disruption.  The NLD has
said most of the detentions were in Mondalay, Sagaing, Bago
and Ayeyawaddy division of the country, while there had yet
been any arrests reported in Rangoon.

                The Asian Age , 26th May 1997
  News and Information Bureau, All Burma Students League.

************************( End )****************************

    |  A  B  S  L                         |
    |  All Burma Students League          |
    |  3, Krishna Menon Marg              |