PM calls on Li to expose bribe scan

Subject: PM calls on Li to expose bribe scandal

PM calls on Li to expose bribe scandal

Reply sought before extradition

PRIME Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh yesterday ordered authorities to obtain
all crucial information from key heroin trafficking suspect Li Yun-chung
before he is extradited to the United States.

Chavalit's order came amid a looming conflict between the police and the Thai
judiciary over the latter's refusal to play plaintiff in connection with Li's
controversial bail jumping in February.

The prime minister said the bribery scandal stemming from the bail-jumping
episode must be ''cleared up" before Li is handed over to the US within two
weeks, or the public will remain sceptical.

Li, who was re-arrested in Burma and handed to Thailand last Saturday, has
said he will cooperate fully with US officials once he arrives there. But Thai
police have been frustrated by his reluctance to reveal details of how he had
allegedly bribed his way out of Thailand.

Pol Lt Gen Nopadol Somboonsub, commissioner of the Police Narcotics
Suppression Bureau, yesterday admitted that investigators were at a loss as to
how to make the suspect speak up.

''He only insists on one thing ­ his safety. There's only one way to make him
talk ­ we may beat him up or use electric shocks. Are we allowed to do that?"
said Nopadol. ''He will never yield to whom bribes were paid. He only says he
paid the money through a lawyer. I know there's a lot more things on his mind,
he's just too afraid to talk."

The officer quoted the suspect as saying: ''Do you think they can't kill me in
prison?"

It remained unclear if a Cabinet resolution is needed to endorse Li's
extradition. In previous cases, Cabinet resolutions were given to extradite
suspects, while the court subsequently gave final rulings.

In Li's case, the court immediately ruled in favour of the US extradition
request after the suspect was flown back to Bangkok last Saturday. Some
Cabinet members said a Cabinet resolution was still needed, but Chavalit
yesterday said the Cabinet does not take up the matter because ''it is a court
affair".

''I want to clear things up for Thailand," Chavalit said. In what appeared to
be an indirect plea to Li, the prime minister suggested all information he
yielded would not be utilised until he leaves for the US.

Asked to comment on Li's plan to speak once he reaches the US, Chavalit said,
''That's an unkind thing to do."

Nopadol and Criminal Court Chief Justice Pradit Ekmanee yesterday had a mild
exchange on the judiciary's refusal to lodge a complaint as a damaged party in
the bribery scandal.

Deputy Criminal Court Chief Somchai Udomwong, who signed Li's bail request, is
being investigated by a committee set up by the judiciary. Pradit said it
would not make good sense for the judiciary to file a case and later rule on
it.

Moreover, he said, the judiciary is in no position to lodge a complaint
against Somchai, who is only under disciplinary investigation. ''How could I
call for his arrest before any investigation results are announced?" he said,
adding that if police have strong evidence against Somchai they could proceed
with legal action without having to wait for the judiciary to file a
complaint.

Nopodol, meanwhile, said since the judiciary is carrying out its own
investigation, it may find some useful information to be used in the case.

''In practice, it's the court that should initiate action because it's a party
damaged by the scandal," the officer said.

Pradit, defending the slow investigation of the judiciary's committee, said
few witnesses have testified and the ''middle man" alleged by Li to have paid
the bribes has refused to give testimony.

The Nation