Gen Chavalit of Thailand Visited Bu

Subject: Gen Chavalit of Thailand Visited Burma (12/16/88)

              The British Broadcasting Corporation
                        BBC Summary of World Broadcasts

                           December  16, 1988, Friday

SECTION: Part 3 The Far East; A. INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS; 3. FAR EASTERN

SOURCE: (a) Rangoon home service 1330 gmt 14 Dec 88

   Excerpts from reports

   (i) Gen Chawalit Yongchaiyut, visiting acting Supreme Commander of the Royal
Thai Armed Forces and C-in-C of the Royal Thai Army, called on Gen  Saw Maung,
Defence forces COS of the Union of Burma at 1010 today [local time, 14th
December] at Dagon House of the Ministry of Defence. . .
   Present at the meeting with Gen Chawalit Yongchaiyut were Gen Phat
Akkhanibut, Deputy C-in-C of the Royal Thai Armed Forces; Gen (?Somkhuan Suwan),
deputy commander of the Supreme Command; Lt-Gen Narudon Detpradiyut, director of
the information office of the Supreme Command; Gen Wanchai Ruangtrakun, deputy
COS of the Royal Thai Army; Gen (?Chaiyu Punsoran), chief general staff officer
of the Royal Thai Army; Praphat Krisnachan, C-in-C of the Royal Thai Navy; ACM
Woranat A phichari, C-in-C of the Royal Thai Air Force; Police Gen Phao Sarasin,
director general of the Royal Thai Police; Mr Suwit Sutthanukun, Secretary
General of the National Security Council; Lt-Col (?Charan Kunlawanit) of the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs; and Gen (?Chan Punprasat), general staff of the
Supreme Command of the Royal Thai Armed Forces.

   At the meeting, Gen  Saw Maung,  Defence Services COS, explained in a frank
manner developments in Burma since March up to today. He said efforts are being
made through various means to enable the students to return home before 31st
December and requested Thailand to give assistance on the matter. Gen Chawalit
Yongchaiyut said that he understood the developments in Burma and that his
outlook had become clearer after the explanation given by the Defence Services
COS. He said he would present Gen  Saw Maung's  explanation to the Thai people
and students. He pledged assistance on the matter of ensuring the safe return of
Burmese students through Thailand as requested by Gen  Saw Maung  and said
efforts would be made to step up co-operation with Burma.
   (ii) At noon today [local time, 14th December], Gen  Saw maung,  Defence
Forces COS held a luncheon in honour of Gen Chawalit Yongchaiyut, Acting Supreme
Commander of the Thai Armed Forces and Army C-in-C and members of his delegation
at the No 2 Defence Forces guest house. Present on the occasionwere Lt-Gen Than
Shwe, army COS; Rear Adm Maung Maung Khin, navy COS; Maj-Gen Tin Tun, air force
COS; Brig-Gen Aung Ye Kyaw, Adjutant General; Maj-Gen Phone Myint, Quartermaster
Genera l; Maj-Gen Sein Aung, chief of No 1 bureau of special operation; Maj-Gen
Chit Swe, chief of No 2 bureau of special operation; Brig-Gen Khin Nyunt,
director of defence services intelligence; Col Abel, director of procurement at
the Ministry of Defence; Dr Pe Thein, Minister for Health; Brig-Gen Myo Nyunt,
commander of the Rangoon command; naval Capt Win Shein, chief of navy staff; Col
Thein Win, chief of air staff; Col Thura Pe Aung, director general of the
People's Police Force and military attaches of the two countries, senior
military officials and Mr Thongchan Chotikasathian, dean of the diplomatic corps
in Burma and Thai ambassador to Burma. . .

   The two generals delivered speeches on the occasion. In his speech, Gen  Saw
 Maung  said

   Respected Gen Chawalit and members of the Thai goodwill delegation Together
with my colleagues, first of all I wish to extend the very warm welcome to all
of you for the second goodwill visit to our country in order to establish

fresh impetus for the flourishing traditional friendship consolidated between
Burma and the Kingdom of Thailand.

   We are greatly gratified to learn that the Thai goodwill delegation is led by
no other person than Gen Chawalit, who has not only deep understanding, but is
also close to us. Your visit takes place at a time when the development of a new
situation has taken place in Burma. As you are aware, the pillars of unity among
the Defence Forces, indigenous peole and the entire population were attacked by
both domestic and external unscrupulous elements with a view to disintegrating
the Union of Burma. And as a result of general deterioration in the country, I
have to lead the defence services to preserve the powers of state organs.

   In carrying out the tasks entrusted by history, my government has earnestly
dedicated itself to four main objectives namely, the maintenance of law and
order and regional stability; the establishment of secure and smooth
transportation and communications; providing the entire population with
sufficient food, clothing and shelter; and, after these aims have been
satisfactorily obtained, the final objective of holding multi-party democratic
general elections will be fulfilled.

   In order to implement effective application of multi-party democracy, a free
and fair election is a prerequisite. To arrive at the goal, law and order

maintenance and regional stability are required. After this objective is
achieved, my government will see to it that multi-party democratic general
elections are held. This I have pledged to the country.

   There are 164 parties which have registered with the elections commission.
Most of these political parties are now actively campaigning throughout the
country. My government has announced an open-door economic policy and the
foreign capital investment act has been enacted with a view to enhancing the
national economy sector and as well as alleviating the food, clothing and
shelter problems of the population, together with achieving law and order
maintenance and a secure transport system.

   At present there are many companies and enterprises from many countries
interested in economic co-operation with Burma due to her rich natural resources
and prospects for development. Respected Gen Chawalit, I am glad to note that
you are the first dignitary to visit us after the new situation has developed in
Burma. We therefore consider you one of our country's closest friends. At
present, there are a few countries who look forward to consolidating friendship
with us, while some countries show less interest in co-operating with us. On our
part, we cannot help but ignore their individual attitudes, as our policy is to
establish friendship with every country. Our dedication is to strive for the
interests of the country steadfastly.
   As regards the bilateral relations between Thailand and Burma, there have
been no obstacles due to the wise guidance and initiative charted by the leaders
of our two countries. When minor problems arose in the course of our relations,
we have been able to resolve them in a peaceful manner.

   Presently, we find misguided students are streaming towards the border area
fearing arrest and detention by the authorities. On our part, we are trying our
best to ensure the safe return of these students to their homes. Up to now over
1,500 students have returned to their homes, but many are unable to return
because the insurgents are impeding their return.

   We have made arrangements with the Thai authorities for repatriation of those
students who wish to return from the temporary camps in Thailand. We have made
arrangements to bring them home in planes if they are reported to us. We look
forward to wider co-operation from the friendly Thai authorities on this matter.

   In the border areas of Burma and Thailand there exist Karen National Union
insurgents and the National Democratic Front trying to form an alliance with
other insurgents against the Burmese government. In the last few days, it has
been found that some expatriates have joined them in an attempt to stage armed
insurrection in border areas. We are also aware that a few foreigners have been
to the Burmese insurgents to consult and encourage them and pledged support

for their cause and spread concoted rumours about our country.

   We in Burma steadfastly adhere to the five principles of peaceful
co-existence and are also promoting good relations with our neighbouring
countries. We refrain from actions detrimental to neighbouring and other
countries, and we shall not take any action which would damage the friendly
relations.

   You will be aware that the Defence Forces are engaged in operations against
the National Democratic Front insurgents at Methawe area. We are most careful
not to let any shells land inside Thai territory and cause injury to the border
population during our operation.

   During our visit last year, you will recall that we exchanged views on
promotion on bilateral relations between our two countries and between our two
armies based on four major objectives. One of the objectives was respect for the
territorial integrity of Thailand and we are faithfully observing that pledge. I
wish to reiterate that we will continue to do so.

   Respected guests from the Royal Thai Armed Forces On behalf of my colleagues
and my fiends, I should like to express once again how happy we are to receive
your delegation led by Gen Chawalit himself, at a time the government of the

Union of Burma is trying its best to maintain peace, tranquillity and economic
development in the country. Your visit this time is very brief, and we have not
been able to extend hospitality as we wished. Therefore, we invite you to come
again when you can spare more time. In conclusion, I wish to confirm that your
present visit will definitely enhance the long-standing friendship and the
continuing bilateral co-operation in our mutual interests. . .

   Gen Chawalit in his return speech said

   I have no idea as to how to address you. I feel I should address you as
esteemed President, esteemed Chairman, esteemed Prime Minister, esteemed
Minister of Defence and Minister of Foreign Affairs. However, please allow me to
address you intimately as brother.

   My dear brother, it is very kind of you, indeed, sir, to allow me to address
you as a brother. First of all, it is a great honour that I and my party have
been received by you and all our Burmese brothers here. We have to thank you
again, and it will be the second time that as you yourself said we have come
with a very big delegation; we have the biggest delegation in this world. During
our first visit, we had about 136 delegates altogether. So, it is a very big
delegation, and I know it is going to cause you a lot of trouble because you
yourself and all my Burmese brothers now are working very hard for the peace,
stability and prosperity of the Union of Burma. So, permit me to thank you and
all my Burmese brothers for a very warm welcome and your very wonderful
hospitality.

   The reason that my party and I are here today, you are already aware, is that
I have the responsibility for border security and that is why I am in this
country. We have come to assure you again that Thailand will not make any
intrusion into your internal business or internal activities.

   Like Burma, we are very worried that you have some students along the
Burmese-Thai border. We understand that it is most critical for you that these
students come back to study for their future and the future of Burma. We will do
our best, brother, to try to make them understand that what they want is
democracy, and that it can be achieved peacefully.

   I will try to explain to them also that in the history of Thailand we had a
similar large problem for 200 years. Fighting against each other is not unity.
Disunity caused us about 100 years delay in the development of our own country.
So we do not want to see such a thing happening to our neighbour our closest
friend.
   The second point is that we want to learn something from you, brother, and my
party and I have already heard this with our own ears this morning. And with
permission from the leaders of Burma, I should like to guarantee that I will
convey all your information to the worl d.

   Again, my dear brothers, I want you to know that before today, we were
looking forward to coming to see you. And now that we are here, we are very glad
to be among friends. I have seen that they are very very happy, because they
have been together with all our Burmese friends and especially because they are
sitting amongst their Burmese friends who are endeavouring to turn Burma into a
peaceful, stable and prosperous country in the near future.

   Gentlemen, friends May I take this opportunity to invite you all to join me
in a toast to my dear brother, Gen  Saw Maung,  for his happiness, long life and
prosperity; and a toast to the everlasting friendship between our two armed
forces, in our two peoples and our two countries.