West bans on Burma dictatorial: Phi

Subject: West bans on Burma dictatorial: Philippines.

		West bans on Burma dictatorial: Philippines

	The Philippines has accused the United States and the European
Union of adopting dictatorial tactics by imposing sanctions in an attempt
to force political reform in Burma.

	The Philippines Foreign Minister, Mr Domingo Siazon, said Western
countries that sought to punish and isolate Burma's military regime were
denying the same democatic principles they sought to promote.

	"It's only when you have a dictatorship that, when the other
party is not in agreement with your opinion, you ban them or exclude them
from all civil society," he said.

	In a wide-ranging attack, Mr Siazon indirectly critised the
Burmese democracy leader, Ms Aung San Suu Kyi, for urging sanctions and
regional pressure on the ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council.

	"It's nothing to do with us. They should settle it there...as we
did. We had our own peoples' revolution in 1986. We did not ask for any
foreign intervention," Mr Saizon said, referring to the popular uprising
that toppled the Marcos regime. "By asking for foreign intervention only
the people and the poor will suffer, not SLORC. So why do you want to
punish your own people?"

	The US last week outlawed new American investment in Burma and
the European Union this week extended for six months a package of
sanctions, including a ban on travel to Europe by Burmese leaders.

	The Philippines' uncompromising stance has ruled out any
possibility of regional support for sanctions, of regional support for
sanctions, or for US calls for a delay in Burma's admission to the
Association of South-East Asian Nations.

	Other key ASEAN members - Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and
Singapore - have also restated their opposition to sanctions, and
reaffirmed their support for Burma to be inducted as a full member of the
group later this year.

	After talks with his Thai and Singaporean counterparts, Mr Siazon
said countries pressuring for democracy in Burma should recognise the
right of neighbouring countries to disagree with their tactics and
Burma's right to determine its own affairs.

	"An essential aspect of democracy is that people may differ in
opnions, but we have to respect each others' opnions and continue to be
friends," he said.

	"We are eercising our own rights as soverign countries to take
decisions about which countries we would like to associate with. Those
who are talking about human rights, how can they say...we will not talk
with you any more?"

	Mr SAizon said ASEAN countries were determined to continue their
policy of constructive engagement, encouraging reform in Burma through
closer political and economic links.

	"Those of us who are neighbours, we have to take the chance.
Those who are far away..if this particular case should not turn out to be
sucessful, they do not really suffer the atrategic consequences," he
said. "We are involved, we are very near...you cannot leave
Myanmar(Burma) to collapse or to have an internal revolution."

	He predicted that the US move on sanctions would strain relations
with ASEAN. "I think it will be very hard. If the imposition of one's
view is the normin international relations, then I'm afraid we are going
the wrong way."

By Mark Baker, SouthEast Asia correspondent, Phuket, Thailand
Thursday, 2 May 1997].