Indonesia dismisses US pressure on

Subject:  Indonesia dismisses US pressure on ASEAN over Burma

Burma-Indonesia : Indonesia dismisses US pressure on ASEAN over Burma

BANGKOK, April 28 (AFP) - Indonesian Foreign Minister Ali Alatas on Monday
said US sanctions would have no impact on Rangoon's entry into the Association
of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) this year.

"We in ASEAN don't believe that sanctions are relevant or workable in the case
of Myanmar," he said, referring to Burma by the Rangoon government's official
name for the country.

"Getting Myanmar into ASEAN is the better way of ensuring greater peace,
greater development and stability in our part of the world," he told reporters
ahead of the opening ministerial session of the UN Economic and Social
Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).

Burma, Cambodia and Laos are expected to be admitted to the southeast Asian
grouping this year. ASEAN currently groups Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the
Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.