LETTER FROM AUSTRALIAN DEPT.OF FORE

Subject: LETTER FROM AUSTRALIAN DEPT.OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (13/3/97)

/* Written 21 Mar 6:00am 1997 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Letter from DFAT-Australia (13/3/97) "--------------- */

DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND TRADE
Canberra ACT 0221

Dr. U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St. Marys SA 5042

Dear Dr. U Ne Oo

Thank you for sending a copy of your letter to the UN High Commissioner for
Refugees on protection and humanitarian assistance for refugees in Thailand
(dated 5 March 1997) to the Minister for Foreign Affairs. Mr. Downer has
asked that I reply on his behalf.

The Australian Government shares your concern about the safety and
well-being of the Karen refugees and has already acted to provide
humanitarian assistance of $800,000 to Burmese refugees living along the
Thailand-Burma border. Mr. Downer has also publicly deplored the attacks
you refer to and called on the Burmese Government to ensure that there be
no further attacks on the border camps.

Reports of fighting between SLORC forces and Karen National Union on the
Burmese side of the border has added to the uncertainty about the security
of the camps and caused an influx of refugees into Thailand. Against this
background, we have requested our Embassy in Bangkok to raise this matter
with Thai authorities and seek assurances that steps would be taken to
ensure the safety of camps in Thailand. In addition, we have asked our
Embassy in Rangoon to convey  Mr. Downer's message to the Government of
Burma that it withdraw its forces immediately and seek to resolve its
differences with the Karen people through negotiation and dialogue.

Yours sincerely
Sd. Frank Milne
Assistant Secretary
Mainland South East Asia Branch