JOINT STATEMENT OF THE NLD(LA) AND

Subject: JOINT STATEMENT OF THE NLD(LA) AND DPNS

Joint Statement of the NLD (L.A) and DPNS

Date: March 11, 1997

1. Central Committee members from the National League for
Democracy (NLD) Liberated Area and the Democratic Party for New
Society (DPNS) held a meeting at a clandestine location on the
Thai-Burma border on March 10, 1997. The following was agreed
upon:

2. Since the birth of both parties during the 1988 uprising we
have been close allies, working through difficulties and facing
hardship together throughout the political struggle in Burma and
in the liberated area along the border.

3. In analyzing the recent and current situation in the country,
it has become clear to us that the people of Burma are fed up
with the political stalemate and are in dire want of a change. At
this time, we are also aware of the desire of the people to
return peace to the country through national reconciliation.

4. We are however sad to conclude that the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC) has resorted to violence rather than
solving Burma's problems by peaceful means. Recent examples of
this being the violent crackdown on the student demonstrations in
December and the brutal offensive against the Karen. The fact
that the influx of Karen refugees into Thailand has reached an
all time high clearly shows that the SLORC's claim of working
towards 'national unity' has no substance.

5. We would like to reaffirm the facts that we were, and have
been in support of resolutions taken during the Mae Thayaw Hta
meeting (ethnic nationalities seminar) held during December and
January and that we stand with policies made by Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi in her Union Day speech.

We realize that these are in line with the policies of ethnic
nationalities, of various political parties and organizations and
the desire of the people. We are adopting these as the working
directives for organizations both aboveground and underground.

6. We hereby reaffirm our unwavering support for the Karen
National Union (KNU). We also agreed to work closely between our
parties, working out in more detail what we hope to accomplish in
the future.

In closing, we remain committed to the work of the alliance with
various ethnic and pro-democracy groups through unity, and to
work for better cooperation among the members of the alliance
organization.

National League for Democracy
(Liberated Area)

Democratic Party for a New Society (DPNS)