NCUB PRESS RELEASE NO [14]

N A T I O N A L   C O U N C I L   O F  T H E   U N I O N   O F   B U R M A

				PRESS RELEASE NO [14]
                  		----------------------
			Diarrhoea outbreak in Refugee camps abating

								March 9, 1997

Border sources reported today that a medical NGO staff had received full cooperation from the Thai authorities to gain access to refugees in the Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi areas who are suffering from severe Diarrhoea. "Access have not been easy and the
NGOs have had to tightly follow the bureaucratic procedures to gain access, but access has no more denied," the other report said.

Though the outbreak has been severe, and there have been more than 10 deaths, aid workers still characterise the illness as "serious watery Diarrhoea" until laboratory test have been completed. Since access has been gained  sources yesterday said that the
 outbreak seems to be coming under control and that medicines have been now able to be delivered.

"Finally, NGOs and journalists are allowed access to the refugees in these areas and we really appreciate the Royal Thai Army's assistance," said a spokesperson of the NCUB.

"Historically, Royal Thai government has taken care of the people fleeing brutal oppression in its neighboring countries, including refugees from Burma who seek safety from the SLORC military's escalating atrocities." a senior person from the NCUB said.

NCUB hopes that Royal Thai government will continue to offer refuge for fleeing Karen refuges.

Information Committee
National Council of the Union of Burma (NCUB)