NCUB STATEMENT ON TRAGIC DEATH OF U

Subject: NCUB STATEMENT ON TRAGIC DEATH OF U MYINT ZAW

N A T I O N A L   C O U N C I L   O F  T H E   U N I O N   O F   B U R M A

		NCUB STATEMENT ON TRAGIC DEATH OF U MYINT ZAW

							Date: March 6, 1997

The NCUB has learnt with great sorrow that one of its members of the Secretariat, U Myint Zaw, 33, who is also the Chairman of Democratic Party for New Society (DPNS), has passed away.
U Myint Zaw, passed away while performing his duties at the time of  brutal SLORC offensive in Karen Brigade (6) areas, at 12:50 PM (Burma time) on Wednesday 5 March, 1997 after suffering from malaria for two days.
U Myint Zaw gained a reputation as a dedicated and courageous fighter for Burmese freedom, and made a great efforts on behalf of the pro-democracy struggle in Burma. A major legacy of U Myint Zaw's work to bring democracy to Burma was to strengthen politi
cal defiance activities inside the country.
The Joint General Secretary of the NCUB and co-founder of the DPNS, Moe Thee Zun, said "U Myint Zaw's excellent record of sacrifice and contribution to the democracy movement was extraordinary and he will never be forgotten in our history."
Aung Saw Oo, Joint- Secretary (2) of the NLD-LA said U Myint Zaw's spirit of defiance and love for freedom will remain with those fighting for democracy. "His spirit for a peaceful democratic Burma will remain with us forever," he said.
The General Secretary of the DPNS, U Aung Moe Zaw, said U Myint Zaw's death was a great loss to the party and to ethnic and pro-democracy groups. "We'll remember him as a good leader who worked with us through thick and thin. Despite his untimely death, w
e'll carry on with our work as he has led us through all these stormy years."
Zaw Naing Oo, Joint-General Secretary of the DPNS described it as a huge loss of good leader for the democratic struggle now and for future democratic Burma.
The General Secretary of National Democratic Front (NDF), U Khine Soe Naing Aung, said, "it is with much grief that the NDF learnt about the tragic death of U Myint Zaw. His coordination and cooperation with sincerity and understanding with all ethnic all
iance groups will be with us always."
In spirit of U Myint Zaw, we remain, as ever, dedicated to support his political defiance work," said a student from inside Burma.
A funeral committee has been formed with members from various ethnic and pro-democracy groups to give U Myint Zaw a burial in accordance with Buddhist rites.

Information Committee, NCUB

                            ***********************************

Brief Biography of U Myint Zaw
-------------------------------
U Myint Zaw was born on July 29, 1964 in Kayan township, Rangoon Division. His parents were U Kyi Tun and Daw Kyi and he was the fifth among six brothers and sisters.
He studied at Kayan High School from 1969 to 1978, passed his 10th Standard Exam in 1980 and then joined his parents on their farm.
He then worked as a primary school teacher, and after receiving a degree in Physics through the University Correspondence Course he became a junior assistant teacher at Toe Kyaung Suu Village in Kayan Township. He worked there for two years.
He actively participated in the 1988 Pro-democracy Uprising. He was elected as the general secretary of Kayan Township Strike Committee, then as the patron of the Youth and Students Front of Burma (Kayan Township). He later joined the Democratic Party for
 New Society (DPNS), a party of students and youths and the second largest political party beside the National League for Democracy.
As a member of the DPNS, he was in-charge of Hanthaweddy East Township, and was promoted as an executive member of Rangoon Division. He was elected vice-chairman of Rangoon Division in 1989 and chairman in 1990. He was then elected chairman of the DPNS du
ring the All-Burma Extraordinary Congress held in 1991.
He fled Burma in the same year when the SLORC stepped up its campaign against the pro-democracy groups and the DPNS was officially banned. He continued to serve as the party chairman in the liberated area. He also served as the Joint-General Secretary of
the Democratic Alliance of Burma (DAB) in 1994-95, and as the General Secretary in 1995. At the time of his death, he was General Secretary of the Political Defiance Committee (PDC), and a member of the Secretariat of the National Council of the Union of
Burma (NCUB).