SITUATION UPDATE (r)

FEBRUARY 16, 1997

The Governor of Tak Province, mayor of  Umphang area, commander of Task Force
34, NGO Leaders, KRC and UNHCR representatives met today and have decided to
relocate all the old and new refugees from the existing camps in this area.
The camps are no longer safe and there is not adequate protection for the
refugees available.  Exactly where they will be relocated has not yet been
definitely decided since the safety of all the camps changes on a daily
basis.  It is estimated there are 20,000 refugees needing to be moved.  There
are still many refugees trapped behind enemy lines that could not escape
ahead of the advancing troop.  These people are now hiding in the jungle
fearing they will be caught by SlORC troops. Many refugees that have been
captured in the past that have managed to escape bring back stories of
horrible atrocities commited against them.  Some of them have been used as
porters, forced to carry very heavy loads on their heads and backs.  Some are
sent ahead of the SLORC troops as human mine sweeps.  Women are very often
repeatedly raped and abused.

Shoklo refugee camp will relocate to Maela and Don Pakaing refugees will go
to Hway Kalok camp.  Hway Kalok was over 80% burned by SLORC and DKBA troops
on January 28th.

KNU INFORMATION CENTER

This morning when I awoke I wasn't sure what my "eyewitness" report for the
day would be.  The subject was chosen for me about 11 AM when there was a
knock on my hotel door and a Canadian couple providing health care in the
area came to ask us to accompany them  to the HWAY KALOK  camp 10 minutes
outside Mae Sot where there was to be a peaceful demonstration by some of the
refugees.  SLORC had announced they would force all refugees from that camp
back into Burma within the next two weeks.  By the time we arrived at the
camp all was quiet.  The demonstration was over but we had an opportunity to
talk to some of the bright young students living in the camp.  One young man
was 21 years old and had been a refugee for 10 years.  He spoke very good
English and made the statement that the purpose of the demonstration was to
call attention to the situation in the camps.  They especially hoped the UN
would get the information they needed to help them.  The people in Hway Kalok
are very afraid of SLORC and  are unsure of what the Thai can or will do to
help them.  He said SLORC is trying to keep everyone scared and upset.  He
felt the biggest need in the camp at this time was a medical clinic.  They
had set up a make shift shelter under blue and white tarps and were valiantly
trying to treat the many sick refugees.  They are in dire need of more
medical supplies.  SLORC troops warned them that they would come back and the
next time it would be much worse.  They will not just burn and loot as
before, but will shoot and kill if necessary.  We were told the enemy forces
came into the camp after dark and ordered everyone out of their homes and
told them they could take nothing with them.  Their homes were then looted
and burned.  It was evident everywhere we looked that they had accomplished
what they had set out to do. There were shells of partial homes still
standing in some areas, but mostly just a charred spot where the houses had
once stood.  Children played among the ashes, sifting  for personal
treasures.    We were told that SLORC leaders are claiming it was the DKBA
that raided the camp, but many refugees told of soldiers speaking only
Burmese carrying out the burning and looting.  At this point, I wonder if the
whole truth will ever be known about what the Karen have been suffering for
the past 48 years.   Everyday brings more hardship and heart ache for these
brave people.  Hopefully before I leave this area I can send an eyewitness
report of some good news.

                  EYE WITNESS ON KAWTHOOLEI

| SalaThai, Bangkok, Thailand - A FirstClass Network - Tel: (662) 679-8382   |
|      BBS: (662) 679-8380 (18 lines)   http://www.icn.net/SalaThai.html     |
|    Please address any problems and questions to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx    |