Why the children?

                                   *******************
By- Dr. Myron Segal, M.D.C.M
F.A.C.S., F.A.C.C., F.A.C.C.P

Letter to the editor

	I am a heart surgeon and former professor trained to save
lives all over the world through medicine and education. Someone
who took care of Vietnamese civilians during the Vietnam war, took
care of wounded children in the Israeli 1967 war and served my
country during the second world war. As a true American patriot I
cannot help but feel that a gross injustice recently took place on my
visit to Yangon, Myanmar. The Japanese government had offered
this emerging country Polio vaccine for vaccination of children and
to build 500 schools for the children of this country. I learned that
the opposition party had actually complained to Japan not to supply
the vaccine and the schools because it could make the present
government image to the world more understanding and also to
create hardship for the people so that the people would feel
neglected by the government. In this way it would be much easier
for the opposition to agitate the people to rise against the
government. Politics should not interfere with humanity. These
schools were then granted to Vietnam which is a booming economy
and can afford the schools. Myanmar was denied the schools but
fortunately the vaccine made their way to Myanmar. We fought side
by side with this country. The heritage of any country is its children,
their education and their health. Politics should never be a part of
this equation. It is total political discrimination in my opinion. As a
doctor I would like someone to explain to me why punish the
children and their human rights?

	Every child in any part of world is the same regardless of
color, religious or race. Using politics does not punish the politician
but only the innocent victim. Why was this tolerated by the rest of
the world? If someone can give me an answer I would welcome it.
This is no answer to this injustice to these children. I am writing this
letter on behalf of all the children of Myanmar and the world as a
proud American Citizen with a conscience. This kind of episode
goes against everything the world believes in and it should never
happen again. It is up to all the parents of the world to protest and
make sure that all children have equal opportunity.

*********