Donor Dilemmas

	==============

	The past demonstartes, at on extreme, that too much assistance
	too quickly without adequate conditions will not result in much needed
	reform. This is a lesson from Burma in the 1970s when foreign aid grew
	from about $20 million to some $400 million annually.

	The proposed economic reforms were only partially implemented
	(political liberalization was not discussed and the single party state
	under the unitary constitution of 1974 was instituted), and
	expanded rice production from the newly introduced high-yielding
	varieties and foreign aid allowed the government to AVOID NEEDED
	AND MORE BASIC REFORMS.

Note(1): The above is an excerpt from "Democracy, power, and the economy
	in Myanmar" by David I. Steinberg. Prof.  David I. Steinberg is
	Distinguished Professor of Korea Studies, George Town University

Note(2)  From above excerpt, three key words can be seen as follows:
	 (a) Constitution (b) Rice production (c) Foreign Aid

Note(3)  21 Feb.. 1997 analysis shows the repetition of three key words.
	(a) Constitution (b) Rice production (c) Foreign investment & aid